Production order issue when material is insufficient

I am sorry, I meant to say false. :grimacing: Stock is notorious for being misstated and maintaining stock in manager is no different than maintaining it elsewhere.

Let’s start with a scenario where we have understated the quantity of 1 raw material item (X) like so:

Item Qty in Manager Physical Qty
X 3 10
  • No physical stock is taken because it’s being done quarterly and that’s in Sep.
  • An additional purchase of 10 of X was later made in Aug

No big deal, right? Stock quantity discrepancies are to be expected.

Now a production run was completed with the available 10 units of X on 2-Jul, that’s a fact: it happened on that date. The system creates a false scenario that it’s produced on 2-Aug just to keep in denial about the fact that it has wrong quantities.

Now:

1. Raw material (X) is still understated.
  2. Finished product (A) is also understated.
  3. The profit and loss in overstated in July due to poor matching of expenses.
  4. The equity is permanently overstated because the cost of selling product (A) never adjusts in August when the purchase of (X) was entered.

Problem no 1 hasn’t been solved but instead three other problems were created.

Now that is a big deal. Misstatements are never to be expected.

Let’s take a look now at who’s affected:

• Purchasing department (for missing the invoice)
  • Production department (Now have their records falsified, a production order that has been completed in July is now recorded in August)
  • Warehousing department (showing zero stock of a product that could be solved but now they’re unaware of its existence)
  • The poor accountant has to stand in front of the owners and be yelled at for the system giving wrong figures.

One analogy that comes to mind is that you have a tiny spec of coffee stain on your white shirt, instead of simply ignoring it for being the tiny problem that it is; you start scrubbing at it until the entire shirt is brown. And that’s exactly how I feel about the situation we have here.

To workaround this serious shortcoming of Manager and force it to produce correct results, a stock count and a supplier reconciliation has to be done before each and every production order. That’s not realistic; nobody can do that.

Instead if we stop tinkering with things and accept the basic fact of business that stock quantities is most probably inaccurate, Manager could be fault tolerant and we can live with stock (X) being understated for a while (until a stock take or a supplier reco is carried out) without introducing a myriad of all sorts of problems.

I think the case is now crystal clear and that is that Manager currently gives wrong reports and that’s based on fact. You can reproduce the issue yourself.

Please @Tut give this some serious thought.