Improper sequence of transactions

Hi,
I’m using manage version 17.10.78. I maintain a cash account by making manual entries and recently I came across a problem of improper sequence of transactions.
As you can see in the image below, ₹ 18,100.00 should be shown after the deposit amount of ₹ 7,100.00 and ₹ 1,000.00.
In reality, the sequence was, after withdrawal of ₹ 12,000.00, ₹ 7,100.00 and ₹ 1,000.00 was deposited. Then ₹ 18,100.00 was withdrawn resulting in the balance of ₹ 1,591.00. But here, Manager automatically changed the sequence of transactions. I’m having many such examples. So, is this a bug or something? It needs improvement that’s for sure, as the balance can never go in negative in cash book.

1 Like

I ditto that. I wanted to post the same thing few days back. It’s great to hear from you though

1 Like

I believe your problem is revealed by your reference numbers, at least some of which seem to have been entered manually, because there is duplication. When multiple transactions occur on the same date, Manager needs a secondary field to sort by. Your 18,100 withdrawal on 06-06-2017 has reference #2. The other transactions for that date have #4 and #5. So according to the reference numbers, the 18,100 was withdrawn before the 7,100 and 1,000 deposits were made.

But it looks like you may have entered other transactions out of sequence, because the 10,000 withdrawal is also #2. So perhaps you edited a reference. Manager does not prohibit you from overriding the automatic reference number. All it does when you create the transaction is find the highest existing number and add 1. That suggests the 18,100 withdrawal was perhaps entered on 04-09-2017 with its date being edited later.

I was expecting this. :slight_smile:
Honestly speaking, I have nothing to do with the reference number so I don’t even touch that area while making entries. The duplication of reference number that you are seeing in the image is because, a unique reference number is not created for every transaction in this version of Manager.
Inter Account Transfers has it’s own reference number, while bank and cash transactions has it’s own. Reference numbers are independently maintained by every transaction head in this version. So, in every transaction head (i.e:- Bank transactions, cash transactions, etc.) reference numbers are mentioned separately instead of single and unique number. Manager automatically continuing a reference number for every transaction head-wise and individually is not at all a problem for me yet. In the image above, the entry made on 04-09-2017 (₹ 10,000.00) is a manual entry containing reference number #2 and the 06-09-2017 (₹ 18,100.00) is a entry of Inter Account Transfer which also contains reference number #2 automatically given by Manager.

Is this a big problem? Transactions in Manager are not time-coded, only date-coded. At the end of 06-09-2017, presumably the cash account balance was correct. Obviously, you cannot withdraw cash from a cash account that is not there. What if Manager only displayed a cash account balance as of the end of every day? You would be none the wiser that an interim balance was negative

The same thing happens with bank statements, depending on when deposits and withdrawals clear. Your cheque register’s running balance after every transaction might not match the bank’s, because the physical cheques might come in in different order than what you entered in the register.

Hello from Greece. Since it’s my 1st post in the forum, I would like to state my congrats to the team of Manager io. Great job guys!!!

For the specific topic, I have the same problem with the above mentioned. And yes, I could agree with Tut, that it is not a big deal at the end of the day, but I would like to have the same “picture” from Manager and my bank export for consistency reasons. Since I am not the accountant of my company (I am the COO of a uSME (“u” as micro)), although I have to send the reports to him and I would like to have the same data on the same row if you understand what I mean.

Right now, I am playing with adding manually different reference sequence, but the thing goes out of order when I have multiple transactions on the same day, e.g. on the 1st of the month, when payroll and other automatic transactions are recorded (e.g. rent, account fees, etc)

Any drill-down list on a bank statement balance in Manager is sorted by Date and then by Reference (shown as # in the column headings), if any reference is present. If you use the bank’s reference number, that should match the sequence in which the bank presents information. However, the bank’s sorting algorithm may be different from Manager’s. All Manager sorts treat both numbers and text as text strings for sorting, so lists do not necessarily come out in numerical order.

Surely your accountant will understand this behavior, having no doubt seen it many times.

Dear @Tut

Thanks for the reply. I have already understood by testing, the Manager’s behavior of text sorting the fields. The issue is that, our bank export data has not #Reference sorting (in fact does not have the reference column at all), so I have to “create” an ASCII algorithm of my own in excel before convert the file to csv in order to upload the bank transactions in correct order in Manager.

My point was if I could avoid this extra task of pre-editing the bank data, but I realize that this is might difficult in general terms, since some banking systems use the #reference coding…

You could try exporting to a different format from your bank. It’s possible that another format will include the reference column.

Unfortunatelly the bank export is only in excel (TSV) and pdf…