This forum is one of two primary sources of help on how to use Manager accounting software. The other is a set of guides.
How can I get help quickly?
Remember that other forum members, as well as Manager developers, are scattered around the world. The person who can answer your question may be in a different time zone. Help yourself by following two simple pieces of advice:
- Read the guides first. They explain many features and functions of Manager. They include helpful illustrations and examples. We are always adding new ones and updating existing ones as capabilities of the program improve.
- Search before you post. Chances are good you are not the first person with a similar question. If you cannot find what you need in the guides, thousands of topics with tens of thousands of postings make it likely the answer to your question is already here on the forum. Before starting a new topic, tap into our huge, crowdsourced knowledge base.
Do forum topics apply to all editions and versions of Manager?
Yes and no. Desktop, server, and cloud editions of the program are almost identical. But the desktop edition does not allow multiple users.
Manager advances very quickly, simplifying and adding features and capabilities. Sometimes, bugs occur with new releases. But these are usually fixed rapidly, often within minutes. So if you encounter a problem with the desktop or server editions, update Manager, even if you recently did. (The cloud edition is always up to date.) You can check the latest version at https://www.manager.io/desktop/download/.
Also pay attention to the age of forum postings. We generally do not close topics that might be useful to someone. So be aware that responses to old questions might be out of date. Look for the most recent replies when searching the forum.
How can I increase my chances of getting useful information?
Follow a few simple recommendations:
- Do not divert or hijack topics. If your question is not closely related to another topic, create a new one. Some of our most expert users only read topics interesting to them.
- Be specific. If your question relates to an apparent software problem (rather than an accounting issue), tell us your operating system (including the version), Manager edition (desktop, server, or cloud), and exactly what you think is wrong. If possible, post screen shots illustrating the problem.
- Be realistic. Remember this forum is for help about Manager accounting software. While many questions about HTML and Liquid code are appropriate in the context of using Manager’s custom theme capability, we are not a source for general software and information technology training. You may need to hire local support if you are customizing something or setting up your own server.
What are the rules of the forum?
Help us keep this a welcoming place to resolve problems by following these simple rules:
- Be anonymous. For your own protection, please do not include personal information in your public posts: no addresses, telephone numbers, or email addresses. If you want to exchange personal information with another forum user, use the private message feature.
- Be respectful. Please treat this forum with the same respect you would a public park. You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That is fine. But criticize ideas, not people.
- Be civil. Do not post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech. Keep it clean.
- Be non-commercial. Do not solicit customers or recruit employees. Do not offer products or services. Do not post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum. And remember that all help on the forum is free.
How can I participate effectively on the forum?
While you can always read the forum as a guest, full participation requires you to Sign Up and Log In. Once you are a member and have created your profile, ongoing participation automatically moves you to higher trust levels, adding to your privileges and even awarding badges for various activities. Regardless of your participation level, the forum software provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: favorites, bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your experience.
Make an effort to put things in the right place, so we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. Some simple recommendations will help:
- Don’t cross-post the same question or comment in multiple topics.
- Don’t divert topics to new subjects in midstream. Start a new topic.
- Don’t post no-content replies.
- Don’t sign your posts. Every post has your profile information attached to it.
- Don’t post replies like “Bump”, “+1” or “Agreed." Use the Like button instead.
What if I see a problem?
If you see a problem, flag it. Our moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.
When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. That encourages bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. The post will be reviewed. Appropriate action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.
In order to maintain our community, moderators have the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.
What are the Terms of Service?
Yes, legalese is boring, but we must protect ourselves – and by extension, you and your data – against unfriendly folks. We have a Terms of Service policy describing your (and our) behavior and rights related to content, privacy, and laws. To use the forum, you must agree to abide by it.