Date validation field problem and suggestion

1. When I want to enter a payment for a purchase invoice that has been paid the same date as issues I copy the issuedate of screenshot 1 (formatted by manager as 7-6-2021).

2. After clicking “New Payment” and pasting the date into the payment date field, the date reverts to today’s date (16-07-2021) after leaving the field. This is because the date validation compells me to enter the date in dd-mm-yyyy format. Which means instead of copy and pasting I would have to change the pasted date by manually adding the 0’s so it becomes ‘07-06-2021’. Which tends to feel a bit tedious if you have to do that for 50+ invoices.

Proposed solutions
A. I would propose changing the date validation method to automatically add zeros for single digit month and day entries when they are left out. The user entered ‘7-6-2021’ becomes ‘07-06-2021’ after validation. This also makes the date entry process less error prone when users enter it like this and go to the next field without noticing the auto-correct resulting in incorrect dated documents.

B. As the default form date format is DD-MM-YYYY, it makes sense to also apply that when displaying dates in manager.io (like the one in screenshot 1)

1 Like

Not long ago Manager used to tolerate omitted zeros in dates but I don’t know what happened to that.

But basically, you’re right, either the system applies dates consistently or tolerate some benign inconsistencies.

What version are you using? Your screen shots appear to be from either two different versions or an obsolete version, because they show two different date formats. The program shows matching date formats for the screens you illustrated:

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.01.48 AM

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.02.11 AM

Your process seems more cumbersome to me than just editing the date on the payment would be, but it works correctly on the current version of the program (v21.7.24).

I’m using the latest version of Manager Desktop (21.7.24) on Windows 10

This is what it looks like on my machine:

Post a screen shot of your Date & Number Format page under the Settings tab. It should look like this, based on what you have written:

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.34.50 AM

And your Sales Invoices listing should look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.37.09 AM

Must be a Windows problem. My examples are from a Mac.

Could be, maybe somebody else with a windows computer can verify this.

I hope Lubos can fix this in the next update.

Thanks for the response though!

I am using 21.7.22

Date & Number Format settings

Sales Invoices

oops - different number format
Dates still look good

And with version 21.7.24, Windows 10 desktop 64-bit version - all good
Are your Windows regional settings set correctly?

Yes, changing my Windows regional settings + setting the manager date settings to another value and then returning fixed the issue. The dates now show up like 12-06-2021.

Cheers Joe!

That only leaves my second issue:

1. After clicking “New Payment” and pasting the date into the payment date field, the date reverts to today’s date (16-07-2021) after leaving the field. This is because the date validation compells me to enter the date in dd-mm-yyyy format. Which means instead of copy and pasting I would have to change the pasted date by manually adding the 0’s so it becomes ‘07-06-2021’. Which tends to feel a bit tedious if you have to do that for 50+ invoices.

Proposed solutions
A. I would propose changing the date validation method to automatically add zeros for single digit month and day entries when they are left out. The user entered ‘7-6-2021’ becomes ‘07-06-2021’ after validation. This also makes the date entry process less error prone when users enter it like this and go to the next field without noticing the auto-correct resulting in incorrect dated documents.

Like Ealfardan said, it would be great to include the option to tolerate omitted zeros in dates (again).

No, because the dates you are copying and pasting are now in the correct format.

Understand that there used to be more date formats, including D-M-YYYY (allowing single digits). To reduce confusion, the number of options was reduced when the date picker was changed to the current one. This was the subject of an article in the April 2021 newsletter.

Yes, for copying and pasting the issue is solved.

There still is some error proneness when entering a purchase invoice date manually.

If entered like 1-6-2021 + tab , the date would be reset to the current date. Since manager is only working with the DD-MM-YYYY format in this setting it seems to me that it would be nice if validation results in reformatting the entered date to 01-06-2021 instead of resetting to the current date.

or 06-01-2021

date formats are a minefield

A little problem as i saw can’t paste a date. To change the date i have to edit the date on field one by one. like day, month year or select from the calendar.
Date display style may be depends on the system date style. Better first set the system date with your desired format. like dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy.

This is not true. You just have to paste it in the correct format.

i have tried. Well i will try again.