Customer portal

I really would like to start using the Customer Portal when my next contract year starts in April. Would it be possible to get the following issues sorted so that the Customer Portal can be used in production mode. I think the Customer Portal Concept is an absolutely fantastic feature and one that I have been wanting to implement for many years.

1. Customers need to be able to download a pdf copy of the quote/order/invoice. Without this functionality, the portal is basically useless for my needs.

2. Cyber Security implementation - at a bare minimum, username and password implementation. More is needed, but just to get the Customer Portal to Production mode, that would suffice.

3. Review the Summary Page in the Portal as it is a Cyber Security risk, contains no information that the customer needs as all that information is in the quotes/invoices anyway. I am not seeing the point of the Summary Page in the Customer Portal.

For reference, here is a complete list of requests via various posters for the Customer Portal. But the first three I consider to be essential for production use.

Another feature that I would like introduced sooner rather than later is the ability to view a folder within the Folders Tab where Customer contracts, SLA, Terms and Conditions etc could be stored. However, the Folder Tab would need to have a theme similar to Ealfardan - Adjust themes for folders and obviously the client could only access their folder in the Folder’s Tab.

A lot more has been requested for the Customer Portal as you can see by the linked topic. But just these few suggestions would make the Portal usable for production use and then you can build on the portal by implementing MFA, Client Edit Restrictions etc. At the moment the Customer Portal is not being used at all.

I was just thinking about the problem with the retirement of the internal pdf creator button as I support the removal of the legacy pdf creator for all the reasons discussed. But this causes a problem for how pdf’s would work in the Customer Portal. I think I have come up with the answer.

With the Customer Portal, perhaps the solution is us to create the pdf using our own pdf printer program and then upload that pdf to the quotes, sales orders and sales invoices transactions.

Attachments are already supported in the Main accounting program. However, these attachments are not viewable in the Customer Portal - but they could be with minimal programming?

The only request that I would make (for the customer portal), would be that the location of the pdf attachment be clickable/viewable in two locations. One - at the bottom of the view form (exactly as it currently works in the main Manager program), but more importantly in a column next to the view button in the list of transactions. On the basis that the vast majority of the time, the customer is interested in the pdf document, not viewing the Manager form.

As add attachments functionality already exists within Manager, this should be a very quick addition to the Portal and would make the Portal pretty much ready for immediate production use and get round the problems of not needing the legacy internal pdf creator. I have no objections using my own pdf printer software to create the pdf attachments. I just need the attachments to be viewable in the Customer Portal.

Lot of non value added work steps in that proposal there vs. if it was just created as a pdf in the first place :frowning:

3 Likes

@lubos Users continually request the option to put customer balances on new invoices. Is it possible to improve the customer portal by allowing users to generate a Statement of Transactions with closing balances for a given period?

2 Likes

Hello Lubos
I was wondering if customer portals can have ability for us to give access of view, view/create, view/create/update, options for sales invoices/orders etc

Basically we want to use it as a order booking software in which client creates a sales quote as we have given access of (view create update) so they can create their demand or order then client or us can directly copy to invoice which client has (view) or (view+create) option only.

It will be super beneficial if we can restrict client to select certian inventory items or non inventory items only and can’t see or select other items

Is there any possibility of its implementation any sooner?

1 Like

I don’t think giving them the permission to Edit is good. I think it would be best to get them to make the changes by contacting you.

I agree. But what @fahadalarab want is for the customer to be able to create an order or quote. Maybe you can add them as a user on your system then ask them to place orders from the system.

I think it is a clever idea though to get your client to place an order similar to what they can do an any ecommerce website.

Would you really want your customers to create their own sales quotes? I doubt it. Nor would it be advantageous for them to be able to directly enter sales orders, which would have the potential to disrupt your production, purchasing, and supply chain management. Making online purchases, which are binding contracts, is far different from entering a sales order in another business’ accounting system.

I think the more you consider customer portals, the more you will realize that viewing transactions is risky enough, without giving outsiders access to your actual accounting records. The security risks are huge.

1 Like

@Tut , Do you think that creating a separate business for the client and creating a user for him with limited access to sales orders only is a good idea till we have the option in Manager?
I know it will take time to make the order again in the main business, but it is just a step to save time by exporting the sales order from the client access

No. You can create a user in the regular business restricted to only sales orders. But I would not do that personally.

1 Like

But in this case he will be able to see other clients sales orders too, right?

Right, but why not just create a test business and find this out. As @Tut said it is not recommended giving outsiders access to your accounting records. I would advise to just create a standalone online form on a website that contains all the information that people can enter to create a sales order mimicking as many fields that Manager uses.

1 Like

I did that, but trying to reach to a safe private solution, maybe in future we can have the function in Customer portal that customer can see only his orders.

The only safe private solution for now is a standalone online form on a website you own or an offline form that you email to customer.

1 Like

Dear Manager io Admin
Can you please Add PDF button to the Customer portal?
I know they can print PDF but it takes longer time and i think if PDF button is there , would be easier especially for clients who might don’t have enough knowledge of printing PDF
Thank you!

1 Like

go to settings - legacy features - Turn on pdf generater.

PDFs are no longer actively supported.

Still In Process?

4 Likes

Could someone add this topic to the ideas category, so all the various requests for the Customer Portal show up in the ideas category for the developer to review at some point in the near future. I would like to get the customer portal to a point where it is ready for production use. At the moment, it’s not functional for business use.

No. Forum rules require that topics be limited to a single subject. This is especially true for ideas. The developer clears ideas when a suggestion has been implemented. A list of 21 different ideas leaves him with no action available if one idea is picked up but others are not.

1 Like