Customer branches / Sub-customer

We sell supplies to businesses. Some of our customers have branches.

Each branch places orders with us separately and we ship to the branch’s shipping address. To print delivery notes for each branch, we need each branch to be a customer with own shipping address.

We send the invoices to their main office instead of individual branch. The invoice must show which branch placed the order. At the end of each month, we need to generate a statement listing all orders placed by the branches and charge their main office.

How can this be done? Please advice

There are no subsidiary customers in Manager. As you have figured out, each branch must be a customer. But they can all have the same billing address and different delivery addresses.

When you send invoices at the end of the month, you have two choices:

1. Send all the branch invoices generated in Manager.
  2. Construct a master invoice outside of Manager, using the Manager invoices as input.

Sometimes, customers impose their own requirements on us. Your example is fairly common. Be thankful for the business. Another example is when a customer demands invoices be submitted through some type of web portal in an electronic commerce system. There is nothing that says the documents you submit to a customer must be generated by your accounting system, only that the numbers match.

Can i make a feature request. I think this is a pretty common use case to ship directly to end user and invoice the HQ/parent company/reseller/agent/…

Something like the following

Customer

Name:

Billing address:____________

Shipping address:___________

Parent company: ____________ (foreign key)

:ballot_box_with_check: Send invoices to parent

How is this different from the billing address?

I agree with what being said here … in some conditions you need to bill to the parent for services to the child business. for example Invoice made for a restaurant will need to be billed to the franchise. right now We just have different customer accounts for each children business. just when invoices are sent off they just manually get sent to the parent business

oh is a dual copy, where the parent company gets the update from branch office / subsidiary company for consolidation.

Yes, because in some cases parent company sends out payment not the branch

How is this different from the billing address?

If invoices are sent to the individual branches as customer having the same billing address, we can’t generate a statement of invoices of all branches and send to the main office at the end of month or keep track of their payment transaction together.

I understand @siriushoward. That’s why I said you might have to construct invoices outside of Manager. It really isn’t possible for an accounting application to anticipate all the strange things customers ask for.

It really isn’t possible for an accounting application to anticipate all the strange things customers ask for.

I agree with your statement in general. But this particular case seems to be quite common. A quick search shows a few requests on this forum.

Creating Branches for Customer / Vendor
Customer with Branches
Suggestion: Jobs or Sub-Customers

Alternatively, allow multiple delivery addresses to be saved per customer, that can be selected when creating new orders/invoices/delivery-notes (as dropdown, autocomplete field, etc). I’d say sub-customer feature is more flexible tho.

2 Likes

How would I set up my rentals. I currently use the building as the customer and the renter as a “job” under the customer. For Tax Purposes, I need to do a profit and loss based on the Property (customer) but also invoice the renter and keep track of all present and past renters that I invoice.

create the customers in customer tab, then create a ‘control’ chart of accounts (balance sheet) that represent which buildings as distinction then enable the control account in the created chart of accounts and choose made up of ‘customers’.

Then in customer tab access relevant customer that resides at defined building , In edit view screen, select control account to defined relevant accounts set in chat of accounts (buildings). Save it.

Whenever there you’ve created sales invoice, the numbers will go to your own created accounts e.g. ‘condo buildings A’ instead system account called ‘account receiveable’

This is one of the ways of doing it. @bristam

you may also create distinctive profit n loss account to differentiate income and expenses attribute to which buildings.

Have you considered setting properties up with tracking codes and treating tenants as customers?

We also have many multi location customer service. I created a custom field on quotes orders and invoices that is a service location then added that to the invoice.

Now it invoices as one master account with the invoice dictating shipping or service address.

A building is an income and expense activity centre, not a customer. The building itself doesn’t receive or spend money.

That I understand. What I don’t understand is how do I, in Manager, set up the business and its different accounts so I can invoice tenants, but have everything pertaining to the building (maintenance, depreciation, rental income, mortgage interest, etc) be applied to that building on a detailed profit and loss report. The IRS only cares about building profit/loss, not tenant info.

Sounds like a job for tracking codes

@bristam, I recommended tracking codes to you in my first response to your question.

I can confirm that I achieve exactly what you’re asking with tracking codes

Thanks @VISA-MC.

I am trying your suggestion to use a custom Shipping Address field on invoices instead of having each individual branch as customer. For single branch customers I enter the default Delivery Address and generate Delivery Notes and invoices as usual. And for multi-branch customers I leave the Delivery Address field in Customer empty and use my custom Shipping Address field on invoices instead.

I will have to enter Shipping Address every single time. And when I use copy-to feature to create a delivery note from invoice, my custom Shipping address field is not copied to the Delivery Address field. It’s a nuisance but I can live with it.

As long as it works well for generating Statements and for other accounting purposes such as correctly setting credit limit for the whole multi-branch customer rather than having incorrect credit limit for individual branch. These accounting purposes is far more important as an accounting software afterall.

Here comes another question: Why is Delivery Address available on Delivery Notes but not Invoices? As far as I know, every invoice that involves delivering products would show the Delivery Address. And it is already implemented as well. When enabling Delivery Note tab, it should be activated on Orders and Invoices in the same way it is activated on Customers.