Custom field on Payslip Earnings Item

Hi Team,

I have two concerns:

1. There is a discrepancy in the field label on payslip earnings, when the payslip is being created v/s/ what appears on the payslip.

I don’t remember making any custom changes to the field labels; is this something which should be fixed by Manager team, or can I handle it internally ? We are not using any custom themes.

2. I need to insert custom fields as columns on the payslip earnings line items. I added a new custom field in settings–>custom fields → Payslip Earnings Item, but the custom field does not show up on the payslip. I tried checking and unchecking the Show custom field as a column checkbos, but it did not help. Also, the checkbox for Show custom field on printed documents is marked; is there anything I am missing ?

Thank you.

What do you think the discrepancy is? A payslip earnings item might be in units of hours, days, weeks, etc. You should properly title the earnings item itself to make it obvious what is being recorded, not just label it as Earnings. You might have some items that are hourly, some monthly, and so forth all on the same payslip. “Qty” is a perfectly appropriate column heading. Understand that the completed payslip is displayed by the same theme (code) that displays other types of transactions. While the input form is unique to payslip items, the output display is not.

That is because you did not. Indeed, you cannot.

No.

You cannot. You can only insert custom fields for the payslip as an entire entity.

That only control whether the custom field shows in the Payslips tab listing. It has nothing to do with what shows up on the completed transaction.

That will cause custom fields to display at the bottom of the payslip (applying to the entire payslip), not on individual line items, which—as I already wrote above—cannot be done.

Thank you Tut. I meant the discrepancy that the field label shows as “Units” when entering details as opposed to “Qty” on the payslip.

For the custom field, how should the below be used ?

Thanks.

I understood that. My point was that the payslip entry form is entirely separate from the theme that displays the resulting payslip. The theme that displays the completed result is the same code that displays every other transaction type. That is the nature of themes: they work across all transaction types, not just payslips. So their labels are chosen—sometimes as compromises—to work for all transaction types.

For custom fields that affect the payslip item itself, not payslips. These custom fields show up under Settings > Payslip Items > Payslip Earnings Items (or other appropriate category) > Edit. They are used mostly to furnish information to the program needed for report transformations.

Although payslip item custom fields are entered on the same form as other custom fields, the checkboxes do not actually function. (My previous statement about custom fields appearing at the bottom of the payslip referred to payslip custom fields, not payslip item custom fields, because I thought you were referring to those.

It is worth noting that the payslip functions of Manager are quite complex and interrelated. Therefore, they are mostly hard-coded. There is not much a user can do to change how they work or what information is displayed within the body of the payslip. What are you actually trying to accomplish with your hoped-for inserted columns?

Thank you, for the explanation, Tut.

I was hoping to add a column labeled Hours, since the Qty field is too generic and we’d have to add an additional note on the bottom to indicate that qty is hours. I was planning to add the new Hours column, and leave Units column blank so that Qty column on payslip would not show up, and instead Hours would have showed :slight_smile:

You could consider entering a description such as

earnings (Qty = # of hours)

Will show as:

1 Like

This would not have worked. Custom fields are basically informational only. That is, they do not influence calculations made by the program. So, if you entered the number of hours in your custom field and left the quantity column blank, you would always obtain an amount of zero for that line item. (To be complete, it is possible to perform calculations in one custom field using numbers from another custom field. But it is not possible to use such calculations in the basic function of the payslip.)

Now, if all you want to do is give the Qty column a different name, that can be done with a custom theme that is only used for payslips. You would use substitution logic in the code loop that displays the label array. Frankly, however, that does not seem worth the effort. If I received a payslip showing a quantity and my hourly pay rate, I would have no question that the quantity referred to the number of hours worked.

1 Like

Thank you, Eko. Workarounds are always an option :slight_smile:

Thank you, Tut. I agree, the efforts to build a custom theme for payslips and substitution logic is not worth the time. Since there is no simpler approach to rename the Qty label, we’ll ditch the idea and let it be as-is.

Sorry for being late to join this party.

First @aqtms, I’m glad to see you’ve got your answer.

But the real question here is what if you paid someone a commission, the quantity wouldn’t be hours then, right?

So I guess it’s not really a workaround but an adaptation to suit specific needs.

Sure Ealfardan. Since my custom field would have been labeled Hours, and in general, Manager does not print any blank columns/fields, in case of commission or any work which is not hourly, I’d assume leaving the field value blank (i.e. no input in Hours custom field when preparing payslip) would not have even showed up on the output :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be better to:

• label it “unit” or “time”
  • put a value of “hours” in form defaults for that field
1 Like

Thank you, Patch. The bottomline as explained by Tut is that custom field itself cannot be added in paylip line items, so labeling becomes secondary.

We are not taking this further, and will use the standard payslip columns.