This is experimental feature. I do not have complete understanding whether this is the correct way to approach the integration with 3rd-party services but it could be.
In the latest version (21.9.15), under
Settings tab, there is new section called
- When invoice is issued, it could post the invoice data to tax authority
- Figures from report transformations could be also electronically posted to tax authorities
- It could pull banking data from external source and automatically create payment and receipt transactions. Some vendors call this bank feeds.
- It could automatically pull and create exchange rates
- It could send SMS message to recipient through some gateway
I’m sure there are a lot more use-cases.
Custom actions is a way how Manager could integrate with the outside world without hard-coding these integrations into the program and at the same time making these integrations work across all editions the same way.
When you create custom action, you define the name, placement and the script. For example, we can create custom action for sales invoices like this.
When viewing sales invoice, you will see button
Do something in bottom-left corner
Clicking the button will trigger the script.
For security reasons, when on server/cloud edition, only administrators can define custom actions but any user with access to the screen can trigger them.
I do not expect individual businesses to be authoring custom actions. For example, country-specific integrations will be done once for everybody and part of Localizations.json project on GitHub.
This feature is not doing anything useful on its own. It’s just a building block to faciliate new features which cannot be hard-coded into the program for practical reasons.