Cloud edition vs Quickbooks online

I am investigating the difference between QuickBooks and Manager for cloud services.

Intuit has told me that if I terminate my cloud service, I can still access read-only copies of my financial data in PDFs and such for one year after termination.

What is the policy at Manager for this?

Manager has free desktop edition which is 100% compatible with cloud edition. It means, you can just transfer your data to desktop edition and continue using the software with all features for free indefinitely.

3 Likes

So the data files are transferrable between desktop, cloud, and server, eh?

Neato.

Crazy question.

What if I wanted the best of both worlds? Could a customer pay Manager for the server edition and the cloud edition, and somehow set it up so that the data would be the same in both places?

Boil it down to,

while (true) {
    if (internet at customer premise is up) {
        keep updated copy of cloud Manager data in Server installation
        users use cloud 
    }
    else {
        while (internet is down) {users use Server installation}
        copy Server Manager data to Manager cloud
        }
}

Call this a feature request or whatever you want, but I think that would be the superest bestest thing on earth.

IF this worked, my guess would be that it would only work if 1 person at a time used the system.

My 5 cents worth…

If you opened 2 files in 2 different windows, it would lead to issues. Just like what happens when you use dropbox.

To me, this feature would have trouble written all over it!

MYOB tried and my view is that they have failed.

But what would I know, I’m just an accountant who spends his time fixing errors and reconstructing accounts when things go wrong… :smile:

Yeah, what you are talking about is some sort of failover mechanism between two instances. Manager could support this in future if there is enough demand.

That’s correct if you want to make changes to two instances simultaneously. That can lead to nasty merge conflicts and I’m pretty certain I’m not going that route.

However, @jamesaepp is talking about simple failover mechanism where only one instance will be active at any moment. The remaining instances would be in stand-by mode in case the active instance would become unreachable so stand-by instance could be switched over and so on.