Client mobile phone receipt OCR

Dear,

Just checking if manger.qo have the functionality to allow client to take pictures of the respective paperwork and share with the accountant workflow setup. Other programs are using also OCR.

My thought are an app, client select sales or purchases, camera activates, client snaps photo, client press ok, and done.

This in return will pop up on the accountant side as pending workflow sales or invoice, an OCR may pick the data, but still one expects the datafields to be shown for the accountant to double check, and consequently posted.

is such a function available, and is manager.io considering it, any time soon?

No such capability exists. Manager is a full double-entry accounting system, not an input mechanism to capture transactions for someone else to input. Manager transactions generally require much more information to be entered than can be captured from paperwork by a photograph.

That said, someone keeping books with Manager could certainly take information sent to them this way and use it in the creation of transactions.

You can already attach files (such as images from a camera ir scanner) to the documents you listed in Manager. When using an internet accessible version of Manager the accountant or other person can then access the same records and check them.

@what, I did not mention attachments as @Patch did because they would require that the transaction be completely entered first. An attachment can only be made to a completed transaction. They do not assist with recording the transaction in the first place. And there is no capability of scanning or reading an attachment to enter data. They are only files that you attach.

I didn’t know attaching images was allowed until now.

@what, i’ve got this setup with some of my clients wherein they just need to take a shot of their documents or scan them (this is better for readability purposes) then upload them to a shared cloud folder specific to them. By default, the cloud folder they’re uploading it onto is labeled “Pending” and then, whenever I get notifications for new uploads, I’d be able to start working and encoding them to manager. Once encoded, I would then remove these files from “Pending” to a non-shared folder in the cloud specific to the client for archive.

This is similar to how other applications capture their receipts and promise to have them reflect on your system within 24hrs.

@Ealfardan, see this Guide: Attach supporting documentation | Manager.

I have a dream…

• I scan a document,
  • it OCR’s
  • I define/select the relevant fields that I want imported into manager (only required initially for this document type)
  • imported/sent to manager
  • the original scan is attached

In short: I take a photo (aka make a scan), review what will be sent to manager input (make any edits I need), hit “DONE/IMPORT/CREATE”, entry completed, scan attached, done.

What I actually do:

• scan the document, giving it a name of most of the fields I need
  • file the document for manual entry into manager later
  • at some point later I go through the pile of documents
  • make relevant entry into manager (manually)
  • download the scan from the web portal of the app I use
  • attach it to manager
  • when reconciling, if there’s an entry I can’t find it’s usually because the document never made it to “the pile” and I can usually just go to the web portal and locate it and create the entry, then download and attach

I have it in mind to automate the whole process, create a cron job/scheduler that accesses the web portal, downloads new documents, creates the manager entry based on the filename, attach the document.

if anyone has done this, I’d be interested to chat :slight_smile:

@d3mad
A work flow which I find efficient

When invoice received

• pay it electronically

• use a delayed payment so it goes through 1 day before it’s due

• if possible use a unique consistent description

• scan the invoice with payment reference written on it by hand

When entering into Manager

• use a bank import

• use bank rules where possible for repeated transactions

• for the first of a regular transaction create a new bank rule. For a regular transaction missed by your bank rule, edit the bank rule.

• for one off transaction edit to enter missing data directly (account and payee/payer)

• for transactions which need to go to more than one account, edit the transaction individually. Add extra line items. Enter the value of the extra line item by hand. Copy the extra line items amount, type “-“ in the first line item the paste the extra line items amount. There was a suggestion to enhance this further by Manager remembering the initial total and showing the difference during data entry)

• there was suggestion to support adding attachments at this point (edit not view screen) but that’s not yet possible so must be done as an extra step.

• let Manager batch process the remaining transactions (all for which existing bank rules work)

Don’t know where you live but in Europe in maximum a couple of years it will be useless since everywhere we will adopt digital invoices. In a Italy it’s compulsory since 1/1/2019.

I think that it is fundamental an XML codec.

You know, it’s very funny you say that, about 5 years ago now I was talking to a friend and was suggesting the automatic / self-service checkouts just have a QR code you could scan, or elsewise you enter you email address and everything would be electronic.

I mulled over the idea for a while and friends suggested I would never get the bug players on board. They will just print the receipt and it will be up to you. I really wanted to push ahead with the idea that you could somehow receive an XML or similar document with the entire transaction in a ready to enter format… but I let them and me talk myself out of it.

I’m not the guy to do that anyway. Where would I start?

Now even some companies in Australia are doing digital receipts. At the moment they’re only PDFs, but it’s a start.

And to hear this is how it in the Italy/the EU—whether now or coming soon, doesn’t matter, it’s—great either way).

@Patch funnily enough, when I do pay things electronically (which is almost everything), I already do have a pretty unique style.

I haven’t tried the imports for a long while and others have summed up what I found frustrating about them, and I realise it’s probably “just me”, but I take your suggestion on board. I really do like the sound of it.

Thanks

There are many DMS that do this through localized OCR. But usually it is used to map internally generated documents, for example a sales invoice, since the format is always the same. How can you do this for every supplier? It would be very complicated.

I have a similar dream. I believe it is achievable and i will soon start to build a solution for this.

you and me both :slight_smile:

Was thinking of building an app to cater for this, but i have to abandon it. the thing with the UUID system is weird working, as you cannot create new transaction by using batch create, as each transaction has a specific key. Well at least i can not find my way around it

That’s not true. UUID is not needed to create a transaction but to link an external table,ie a Client, a Bank account and so on.

I created an app completely from scratch for financing and many other. Have a look at this thread:

This however don’t change my mind that what you want to achieve is not planned properly.

Perfect Davide, found my way too. excellent news. Just double checking with you as this UUID is very new to me if I had to create company X Ltd, and create a set of tax codes and accounts, and manager will issue there UUID. Am i correct in saying that if I create company Y Ltd, whether I manually create or batch create the same tax codes and accounts they will carry the same UUID?

Am I correct, in saying there is no sequence to be followed either? ie if in company x i first created tax codes and then accounts, in company y i need not do same sequence to result in same UUID sequence.

Also both company X and Y are setup and working for two years with the intial setup, on 3 rd year, company x has a unique expense space shuttle flight, so we create new account and the respective UUID. We do not reflect this to all clients

on the 4 th year company y, has same expense space shuttle flight, and we create a manual account for it too. will it have the same UUID as the one in company x?

No. The UUID will be different even if the tax codes will have the same name. The UUID are randomly assigned each time you create a tax code.

Wrong. They will be different.

No

mmm