Change term 'Description' on invoices (& elsewhere) to 'Summary Title'

It has to be a different term, and able to be translated differently for each document in every language through the translation portal.

It has a general “description” name, and it’s difficult for new users to realize where the product description should go, when invoice has only 1 line. This leads to invoice editing after the user creates the document.

2 Likes

I totally agree. Something like Form Description and Line Description (that’s what they are)???

1 Like

Perfect

But how about just “Description” instead of “Form Description”?

So long as it is easy to differentiate between the two.

I suggest that you can keep Description for form and Item Description for the lines.

As long as it’s 2 diffenet this that we can then translate differently. In Greek 2 totaly different words will be used, and I believe to other languages also.

Agree as there is actually three different variables

• Form description: invoice / payment / receipt /
    etc level
  • Line description: a line item in one of the a above
  • Description: what the program uses if one of the above is blank

So imo three distinct variable names is optimal.

At the moment we have Form Title (can be changed ‘on-the-fly’) and two description fields so I’ll stick with -

Form Title
Form Description
Line Description/Item Description.

3 distinct names.

This third variable is different from the other two in that:

• It is not user entered as it is calculated by Manager from the other two.

• It is widely used in reports produced by Manager (as a label when Manager is displaying information).

• Direct exposure to users is really only relevant when the user is creating reports such as Custom reports, custom themes and report transformations.

I think separating auto descriptions would do more harm than good, because then we would have two description column in GL based reports and views (like summary) and one of them would be blank.

That would be confusing especially since auto descriptions are just concatenated values from other fields. So my vote would be to keep it merged with line descriptions just in case there isn’t one.

No the description variable in custom reports shows “Form description” or “Line description”, the custom report author can not choose the description displayed depending on report requirements and data entering history. As a result some data is masked.

Using separate variable names woud enable the report author to make this selection. Currently “Description” is exposed and not it’s source data (“Form description”, and “Line description”).

That’s not what I meant. :slightly_smiling_face:

Before going into details, we have to reach agreement on few things:

1. There’s no auto descriptions on the form levels.
  2. There are auto descriptions on the line levels. These auto descriptions serve as substitutes for no line descriptions by the user.
  3. Line descriptions and their cousins auto descriptions appear on the GL lines.
  4. Certain reports and view are based on GL lines. In these views Form Descriptions are irrelevant.

Now if auto descriptions are treated as separate fields from line descriptions in the UI level, there needs to be two fields (two columns). In that case you will still have empty line description column and another column to hold the value for the auto descriptions – since they are now two completely separate things.

That, to me, defeats the purpose of substituting for no line descriptions.

Agree

We have a missunderstanding here.

I’m suggesting report writers in Manager expose the two variables so the report author can choose which description they wish to display.

1. In some reports, only “Description” would need to be displayed
  2. In other reports, “Form Description” and “Line Description” is more approptiate.

Currenlty I have not found a method to create roports with the data described in option 2. The reason it can’t be done is because the calculated “Description” is exposed (making option 1. easy) but the component “Form Description” and “Line Description” are not exposed to custom reports.

Btw I am not suggesting all existing standard reports are modified to display both “Form Description” and “Line Description” instead of the current calculated string “Description”.

I fear that a the request to change the name Description for two different entities (form and line-item) to better distinguish between those to a whole other level.