Can I import data from Quicken?

I was hoping to import my business data from Quicken to Manager (desktop) to preserve it before I upgrade my Mac OS to a version Quicken doesn’t support. Is this possible? I can’t find anything about importing in Manager guide. If not, what are my options?

Basically, the answer is no, you cannot import data from other accounting programs. This is true for almost all programs. Even the various Intuit programs that claim compatibility have problems. But you don’t need to, and year’s end is the perfect time to switch. Businesses change accounting systems all the time.

The fundamental steps are to:

Look through the Guides for relevant instructional topics. Ask questions on the forum if you get stuck with something. A test business for experimentation is a good idea before you start entering your real business transactions. See Experiment with a test business | Manager.

That’s what I was afraid of. I was totally overwhelmed when I faced setting up a new account. But I have a few days to play with it before Jan. 1. Your tips will be helpful. Thanks.

I agree this is the practical assessment for many people however the answer is actually to a different question though “Is it cost effective to import data from an old accounting system?”

Technically is can readily be do, see

I suggest you message @Dimitris_Kontodimos the person who started that thread if you want it done but don’t have the technical expertise yourself (see How I can create mass payments for sales and purchase invoices - #15 by Dimitris_Kontodimos)

@patch is right, @Ann_Sherwin. The thing to remember is that many accounting programs require a new file for a new accounting period anyway. Only Manager’s perpetual nature even gives the possibility (however difficult) of adding historical information.

The time investment comes in setting up your chart of accounts, enabling the desired functional tabs, setting defaults, importing tax codes and other localizations, and so forth. You will have to do that regardless. The nice thing about Manager is that you can do all those things as you need them, whereas most programs require it all to be set up in advance, before entering the first transaction.

Realistically, what you gain by having all that historical data is the ability to search for past transactions. Even very large companies with customized accounting systems often give that up when migrating systems. It is just too expensive to convert all the data to the new structure.

1 Like

The advantage is it enables you to:

• Correct the deficiencies in your old accounting package (their must be a reason you are moving from the old accounting package).

• Add the new functionality available in Manager to your old records

• Test Manager with your real live data prior to training your staff or using it for several years to accumulate a significant amount of new data.

• Show historical comparison data in all your reports.

Many users (but not all) find this capability useful however there is no automated transfer of data when changing accounting programs. This applies to all accounting programs.

Electronic importing of data into Manager is actually quite well supported but even so, the process typically takes a few days of solid work, for which you will need to pay either in your own time or employing someone skilled in that area to do it.

The details of how to achieve electronic data importing varies depending on what electronic data you have available and what historical data you actually want in Manager. Old electronic bank transaction records can be readily imported. Other tables / tabs are imported via Managers batch create.

I find importing the last couple of years data worth the time investment (with starting balances covering periods prior to that), but that is just my assessment of the value of my business data to me. Others will assess the value of their business data differently.

Thanks, Patch. That might make sense if I were to stay in business for a long time. But I am 99% retired, with no significant business expenses, so my accounting needs are minimal. I’m switching because Quicken 2007 will no longer be compatible when I upgrade my Mac OS, and the Quicken upgrade is costly. After filing my 2019 tax return, I’ll have little reason to go back. My plan is to start afresh with Manager but to export my Quicken data to an Excel-compatible format before upgrading my OS — just in case. My client records will still be available in Billings Pro.

Patch
January 3

Ann_Sherwin:

I was hoping to import my business data from Quicken to Manager

The advantage is it enables you to:

· Correct the deficiencies in your old accounting package (their must be a reason you are moving from the old accounting package).

· Add the new functionality available in Manager to your old records

· Test Manager with your real live data prior to training your staff or using it for several years to accumulate a significant amount of new data.

· Show historical comparison data in all your reports.

Many users (but not all) find this capability useful however there is no automated transfer of data when changing accounting programs. This applies to all accounting programs.

Electronic importing of data into Manager is actually quite well supported but even so the process typically takes a few days solid work, for which you will need to pay either in your own time or employing someone skilled in that area to do.

The details of how to achieve electronic importing data varies depending on what electronic data you have available and what historical data you actually want in Manager. Old electronic bank transaction records can be readily imported. Other tables / tabs are done via Managers batch create.

I find importing the last couple of years data worth the time investment (with starting balances covering periods prior to that), but that is just my assessment of the value of my business data to me. Others will assess the value of their business data differently.

That is all very sensible. The critical point being

• the investment to import your records is unlikely to be recouped for you, so not doing so is optimal.

• Having the excel copy of your data may enable you to change your mind if circumstances change (but doing so is likely to be harder later due to other data entered since into Manager).