Batch update of inventory

Hello, i seem to be having a challenge updating my inventory using the batch update function, i have read through the guides to see what i could be doing wrong and i cant seem to figure it out. Is it just me or this could be bug in the system?

I am using the cloud edition

What you could try, create a “test” Inventory Item filling in all the required fields. Export that Item and then ensure your batch update data matches with correct headings and layout.

I suggest that when you perform the test @Brucanna suggested, you capture screen shots at every step to show exactly what you are doing. Then describe and illustrate every step.

I also suggest that you do this in a test company rather than your real accounting records. That will make everything more obvious.

Also, are you aware that batch updates are not meant for ordinary inventory transactions? In other words, inventory counts are normally updated automatically through purchase invoices, sales invoices, write-offs, and production orders. Batch updates are for things like across-the-board selling price adjustments, not financial transactions.

@Tut Thanks for the advice, we where trying to use batch update for our inventory count. Does this then mean that we cant make batch adjustments? I ask so because we have more than 1000 inventory items and the process of correcting 100 items in write-offs at the end of each stock count for example would be a little time consuming which in a a way defeats the purpose of using automated accounting systems.

That is exactly what it means, because when you make arbitrary adjustments to inventory counts, you are adding or removing assets without balancing entries. So your books no longer reflect your true position.

You can enter a single inventory write-off with 100 lines. This would be much easier than copying data from a batch operation window, pasting into a spreadsheet, updating the spreadsheet, copying the spreadsheet, pasting back into the batch operation window, and updating the program database. It would also be financially correct, as the value of the written-off inventory items would be automatically posted to the selected expense account.

The purpose of automated accounting systems is not to compensate for poor record keeping, inventory control, or production management. It is to improve accuracy, especially when the number of transactions is large. If you are routinely having to adjust 10% of your stock levels after physical counts, something is wrong. Wastage allowances on production orders could be off. Pilferage could be a problem. Order fulfillment might be inadequately supervised. And so on. But whatever the cause, inventory write-offs are financial transactions and need to be entered as such.

@Tut You are very right. I agree with you in your statement above 100%