Automatic reference ignored on recurring journal entries

I’m running Manager 21.6.60; apologies if this has already been fixed since then.

I have a scheduled journal entry that gets created each week. “Automatic Reference” is checked in the template for it.

When the entry is created each week, the reference number is never automatically assigned; I always have to edit the journal entry, check the box, and save.

You need to update.

No one is going to debug a version that’s that old

Actually, that bug was fixed in v21.5.33, well before the version you are using. What do you have set for journal entries under Form Defaults? If you do not have the automatic sequence number option selected there, do so and let us know what happens.

Indeed, the form default did not have automatic references set; hopefully that fixes it- I will know next week :-). Thank you.

Should I infer from this that the automatic reference checkbox on the scheduled journal entry template page is meaningless? Or do they both need to be set?

The question is whether @lubos intends the Form Defaults setting to override the recurring journal entry content. The reference field is a special case because of legal requirements in some jurisdictions for automatic sequencing regardless of any other circumstances. For example, when automatic reference numbers are set in Form Defaults, they override anything else when copying or cloning.

In general, recurring transaction forms mimic the regular transaction form for whatever type transaction they cover, except for the Next issue date and Interval fields. But they treat the Automatic reference differently. This potential conflict exists for all recurring transaction types.

Update: This week’s entry appeared, with the ARC box checked on the journal entry form default, and the AR box checked on the template…and once again I did not get an automatic reference number.

Running Manager 21.8.4.

If I create a new journal entry BY HAND, the box is checked. Maybe the recurring journal entry only ‘takes’ from the form default when it’s first defined, in which case a workaround sounds like “delete and re-create the recurring entries” might work.

Let’s clarify something. Did you not get an automatic reference when the form appeared? Or did you not get an automatic reference when the transaction was created? Automatic references are not applied until the transaction is created, because multiple users could be working on new transactions of the same type simultaneously, possibly taking extended time to do so. The reference is applied upon creation to ensure chronological correctness.

Let me draw the timeline in words.

(1) Recurring journal entry for this was created a few months ago. At that time, the “Automatic reference” checkbox on the creation form was checked (as noted above) but the form defaults ARC checkbox (which I didn’t know about) was not checked.
(2) Last week, I adjusted “Form defaults” for journal entries to have automatic references on journal entry forms. Since that time, if I manually create a new journal entry, the box is checked, as I’d expect.
(3) Today, the recurring journal entry fired. On entering “journal entries”, selecting the recurring item, and choosing Batch Create, the resulting journal entry did not have the automatic reference checked.

I already understood your timeline. You did not answer my question.

As I thought was clear (but I guess not), I did not get an automatic reference when the transaction was created.

Thank you. I apologize for seeming pedantic. I forgot that when creating recurring transactions (of any type) you do not see an entry screen before the transaction is created. So your prior statement seemed a little vague.

Now that I understand exactly what your complaint is, I can replicate it. I am moving the topic to bugs and editing the subject to better reflect the problem.

@lubos, this problem exists only for recurring journal entries, not recurring sales or purchase invoices.

And @peterb, for what it’s worth, for both recurring sales invoices and recurring purchase invoices, the recurring transaction definition overrides Form Defaults when it comes to automatic references. No matter what is set under Form Defaults, if the recurring transaction has the automatic reference box checked, the transaction will be automatically numbered. If not checked, there will be no reference number, even if Form Defaults says there should be. That seems logical to me, because the recurring transaction is not following default content, but adhering to a specific definition of content.

:+1: Thanks for replicating.

Fixed in the latest version (21.8.17)

1 Like