Accounts Receivable Summary Panel Bug

I’ve noticed what I believe is a small bug - on the Summary screen, under the Account receivable panel that shows aged outstanding invoices, I have an invoice showing as 1-30 days overdue. However, that invoice is current.

The invoice in question has a raised date of 11/03/2015 with a due date of 14 days time (correctly calculated as 25/03/2015). At the time of writing then, the invoice is only due in 11 days. To my mind, this should mean it shows in the Current heading in that Accounts receivable panel. Only on 26/03/2015 if it is still outstanding, should it move to the 1-30 days overdue heading.

Just to note also, under the Sales Invoices tab, the document in question is showing with an orange status of “Due in 11 days” so it’s working correct there - it’s just in the summary panel as far as I can tell.

It’s a small bug but it would be great if it could be fixed as this panel provides a useful at-a-glance indication of whether I need to chase people.

Thanks

Could it be that your Summary screen is set to show figures as at 31/03/2015? Better not to set the date on summary page into the future. Make it as of today or earlier.

Ah yes, I do - well, 05/04/2015 but same difference.

I have it set like this so that I can see the current financial year situation at a glance as soon as Manager is opened, without the need for additional steps. For the most part, it works well - just this small issue I noticed with the Accounts Receivable panel.

Ideally, I’d rather not have to amend the date range for the Summary screen each day (although admittedly it’s not a major chore). Would it be possible at sometime in the future to have the system work so that if a future date is specified, it defaults to today if today is earlier? Alternatively, perhaps have ‘today’ as an option in that customisation screen.

It’s not a major issue of course. Like I said, it’s a small chore to change that date range daily so don’t consider it a priority or anything but if an amendment could be added in the future, I’d find that useful.

Thanks Lubos. Appreciate the help as always.

You don’t have to amend the period each day. There are two options you can choose from: Custom and Today, simply pick Today and that’s it.

Silly me - missed that option completely and it’s completely what I was looking for! Sorry and thanks again for the help.

I have a question. I have some customers that have paid me with a cheque with a due date in the future.
When receiving this kind of payment, I go to the invoice and click “receive payment”. Then I handle the payment normally, only set the payment to a future date, when the cheque will be able to be cashed.

In the customer tab, this works fine. It will decuct the cheque from the total outstaning amount and will only show me the amount that is still open. However in the aged accounts reports it will show me the total including the check.

For instance:

Today is 16th of March. I have a customer that has an outstanding invoice of R$ 500,00 and pays me today with a cheque of R$500,00 that can be cashed in 30th of March. I raise a payment of R$500,00 with a future date of 30th of March.

In the customer tab, it will show an open amount of R$ 0,00, which i think is correct. But If I run an aged accounts report today, it will show me however still an amount of R$500,00, which can be confusing when chasing customers for payments

What you see is not a bug. When you enter a date in the future, you are telling Manager to ignore the transaction until that future date. So it does. Accounts receivable will not be reduced until the future date arrives because no payment has actually been received. You could not, for example, deposit that cheque in your bank account.

However, Manager is also designed not to forget things. So the customer’s record stores the payment.

Remember that accounting records transactions that have already occurred, not things that might occur. If your customer were to close its bank account before your cheque matured, you would be out of luck. That cheque isn’t really a payment, but a promise (and probably not an enforceable one) to pay on March 30th.

Aged receivables report is at certain date. They account will be paid as at March 30th but not as at March 16th.

One way to solve this is to record cheque date when you actually receive it, not when you expect it to cash out.