Validation Fields

Is there a way to have the following fields; DATE, PAYEE and the UNIT PRICE fields from the PAYMENT page to require validation before recording/completing the transaction, and/or leaving the page? I have a backlog of uncompleted accounting work to finish within a short time frame, and any information showing next to the field(s) immediately out right when making an error will save time and eliminate irritation trying to go back. thx!

this is not available at present. what you are proposing is as simple as double checking the entered data before clicking the Update button.

@sia, how do you propose Manager would know that you have entered an error?

Form fields, as well a page, can require validation before the user can click, and move to the next transaction, page, or even exit. Many forms required a completion of an input field before the page can be submitted. For example, QuickBooks “spend money” payment page validates before the user can move to the next transaction. Also, with the exception of the date, the fields get filled through auto-recall. For instance selecting a customer, vendor/supplier, employee, etc… automatically fills in the rest of the transaction, including the last amount paid. It’s a feature that saves time. May items, such as rent, medical insurance, utilities, automobile loans, etc… are recurring charges or transactions that can be completed faster with an auto-fill feature. This will make the software faster, easier to use, saving the end user time keying the same items, over and over, and lower employee expenses.

That’s what the Create and Update buttons do. Manager doesn’t store any entry or change unless you “validate” it by clicking Create (for a new entry) or Update (when editing). And there is even a confirmation notice before you Delete anything.

This is what the Clone feature is for. And it’s faster than QuickBooks.

In appropriate contexts, Manager also pre-fills items not likely to need editing. I think as you gain more experience with the program you find it quite intuitive. There are often several was to accomplish the same thing, too.

Excuse me, you are defending just for defending. I am a software developer for 13 years and input validation is an essential rule in software development, I never heard something like " you “validate” it by clicking Create (for a new entry) or Update " this is not true, as a developer you SHOULD always perform input validation on both sides frontend & backend to prevent the client from entering wrong data that might lead to system failure, for example entering a text in a number fields, or entering a wrong formate date.

MangerIO has a very poor UI design that lacks essential functions such as input validation, duplicate entry alarm, status alarms like in the inventory, I can sell a product that is not in my inventory without knowing it’s not in my inventory so I have to always check my inventory items

As a system admin, I buy software to work faster and reduce mistakes, but MangerIO in some cases is causing mistakes and increasing the needed effort to perform a simple action, for example, I need to check if the client exists before adding a new client, and the item count in my inventory to not sell out of stock items, it’s a doubled effort that the software can do it quicker more accurately.

I am not saying MangerIO is bad software, it’s a good software that needs improvements, so instead of just defending against the users needs try to understand why they need this and try to improve your system especially much of the users needs are so easy to implement and sometimes it doesn’t need more than a few lines of codes like inventory check, just query the database for the item number and use IF ELSE condition to alert the client that this item is out of stock if the item count < 0, input validation is very easy to implement and there are tens of free & open source validation libraries to integrate with your software.

so instead of just telling the user that they don’t need this feature, just report their needs to the developers because the developer should always implement what the user needs, not what they think that the user needs.

1 Like

You are replying to a 4 years old topic. The Manager of today is not even close to what it was four years ago with thousands of changes. You raise a lot of issues and many of these have been discussed over the years. No one forces any one to use Manager. If you still do not like its user-interface after sooo many years maybe it is time for you to move to something you like. As far as I can see there are soo many users that are fine with all that one can not change for the exceptions.

I think this is just a random post from someone who has rarely, if ever, posted

From my humble experience with accounting software, you only need to validate something if it can’t be undone afterwards. In Manager no validation is necessary since you can simply undo the mistake which is a big part in Manager being user friendly and all.

Besides, “Validation” by making the user press a Validate button achieves exactly nothing if you think about it for a moment. It’s just another click.

Also, you can always take the time to look at the view screen right after you create something without need for any button.

I’ve responded to your post at face value but maybe there’s something else behind it. Does this :point_down: idea help?

https://forum.manager.io/t/multi-level-authorization/20992

The challenge with computer validation is to allow ALL values user require across all jurisdictions and use cases yet still provide checking more valuable than other features which could be added to Manager with similar programming effort.

Several of the checks you listed are already in the ideas list.

Similarly

Clients can have very similar names and addresses. Double entering contacts in Manager is sometimes used to accommodate multiple values of another parameter eg customer & supplier, or multiple addresses etc. As a result what is an invalid duplicate customer is not that simple across all jurisdictions & use cases.

Instead in Manager when entering a invoice you can have a second browser tab already open showing your customers in Manager. In that tab you can search and add customer whenever required.

On that we disagree.
Imo it is a complete waste of time and grossly detrimental to overall program functionality for a developer to try to incorporate every feature every user thinks they need.

A business must take responsibility for their own destiny. Which included deciding what is their market focus and building that business. Peripheral business can be accommodated and there is no need to kill niche market opportunities by telling them they are not core business, however compromising core business by complicating the program or distracting program development on peripheral issues is simply bad business management.

Listening to a broad range of view is useful however ultimately a program developer must trust their own vision for their program. Conversely users clearly describing what they would find valuable in the program can be constructive however ultimately, with off the shelf software, the users only real choice is to use the product on offer or choose a different product.

Many businesses sell products they do not have in stock.

They accept the sales order and then purchase and arrange the delivery of the product.

This has been discussed ad infinitum in various topics

yes, but many other businesses don’t, so add an alarm option, don’t prevent the user from adding an item that is out of stock just alert it’s out of stock.

Hello @Mr.KhaledGad
You can just open inventory tab in another tab of your browser.
Whenever you create a invoice, you can easily check that item is Available in stock or not.