Uncategorized transactions

This one? Why is it useless? This transaction means, I had to pay 3 invoices plus $3867 in advance for future invoice. So when I categorise, that #3867 cannot be categorise and leave as a suspense until I receive an invoice to pay off from that amount. With the previous manager, with that sort of scenario it did show up in ‘bank accounts / uncategorized transactions’ tab so evertime I import bank transaction and cagegorise them, it’s there so I remember it.

You have made a payment to a customer without a name for an amount that customer owes to you. Do you normally pay your customers’ invoices for them? Do your customers normally not have names?

Yes, that one, for the reasons I already told you.

That just puts the transaction into Suspense. If you are paying an advance, follow this Guide: Record supplier deposits and advances | Manager.

You cannot leave improper transactions as reminders.

I did make the payment to a customer named “-” Also it doesn’t matter if I cagegorise the “payee” or not I still categorised the payment to customer “-” with invoice #2003. I do the same thing for all other transaction I made and only some come up in the summary/suspense list.

Could you tell me what else I should do with your marks in the screenshot so I can try?

What else do I explain? My transaction is there and I don’t want to categorise $3867.00 as yet then the system should keep at least the amount as suspense and it must show up in the bank accounts / uncategorized transactions list. I only removed transaction reference in the screenshot nothing else so whatever you see in the screenshot is all I have to show you anyway?
Edit screenshot is the end photo of my first post as per below.

This screen shot is what I’ve been doing all the time and only recently I having trouble as it doesn’t show up in the list anymore.

No, your understanding of Managers design and behaviour is incorrect.

If you want an “yet to allocate” account then create one. Put in anywhere on your COA consistent with how you chose to use it. You will be able to drill down on it and see all such transaction.

The suspense account in not a user account. It is a program account for errors in user data entry. When the program is in an error state none of the totals can be guaranteed to be accurate. IMO Manager should gray all and include an error message indicating “Please correct date entry error of all transactions in suspense”
In this state you have garbage in results in garbage out.

1 Like

@Patch has said it well, @chris.chai. You are misusing the program in so many ways it is impossible to know how to advise you.

I don’t think so.
When I say I don’t want to allocate yet certain transaction, this means the same as when I just import new transactions. The system does not do an automatic allocations so this means If I don’t allocate certain transaction, it should remain as it is like it was just imported. The system was doing from the beginning but from recently like early this year or end of last year, it didn’t work.

Before allocating any transaction, all transaction that are not yet allocated/uncategoried must remain as suspense and all these suspense transaction MUST remain in bank account/uncategorized transactions like when we import new transactions.

It’s simple, any transactions that are not yet allocated/categorized, must remain as suspense in bank accounts / uncategorized page and it has to be in this way like when we import new transactions they are there waiting for me to be allocated/categorized.

I am sorry, @chris.chai, but you are just plain wrong about the program. But, since you are so certain you are right, there is no way I can help you. Good luck.

From where am I wrong? If I am wrong here, the software were wrong from the beginning.
How can you then explain that all suspense transaction are in the uncategorized page as soon as I import new transaction everyday? Should they not be there? If so where can I find all uncategorized transaction since I import new transaction? Totally don’t understand why I am wrong since it was working like what I said before, even just a few months ago…

I think that these two images represent 2 different transactions as the bank account called “Bank Account” should be listed against the transaction in the second image if they were the same transaction.

My question is do you have 2 payment transactions for 2,129.00 on the 19/02/2021??

Maybe you have processed the same bank import twice.

Ok Some of screenshots are not matching above so I’ve taken few for the actual transaction I am having trouble with here.

I made transaction on 16/12/20 for $10000 to Tony. That $10000 was for his 3 invoices and $3867 advance payment for his future invoice which has not yet been received so the $3867 is still “suspense”

Now I belive this must show up in the “Bank Accounts / Uncategorized transactions” like other suspense transactions as it is not yet categorized/allocated. How ever as you can see below screen shot, it does not show up when other suspense transactions are in there, and yet this is still partially suspense in “bank accounts / bank account-cleared balance”

@chris.chai You are mixing two concepts: transactions and transaction lines. These things are not the same but you argue as if they are.

You have identified the transaction as a whole and categorized it; it’s a payment to a supplier for many different lines and that means you categorized it. You also intentionally left a single line in suspense and that’s not manager’s fault.

What you could’ve done was to:

• Classify the transaction to Accounts Payable > Supplier Account and leave it as a Dr Balance, which is one acceptable way of keeping records; or
  • Create another supplier account under a new control account for advances in case you didn’t want to mix this up with other invoices.

But keeping part of an identified transaction in suspense is a mistake.

Also as @Tut already pointed out, that’s not how manager works, if you identify the transaction it is categorized. If you leave part of it blank like you did, you can always pickup any suspense transaction lines from the suspense account on your summary screen, so you still have track on your WIP.

Remember the reason why other software feel bloated, irresponsive and buggy is they workaround bad user habbits by endless lines of unnecessary code which makes them … suck, for lack of a better term (ehm Quickbooks)

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Bank Import - multiple line transactions not listing under uncategorised

Well, then how come the manager did show partially uncategorized transaction in the uncategorised list previously? This was the consept of manager last years at least since from 2015 to 2020 as I’ve been using this for last 5 years.

And if this was not MANAGER’S FAULT, when you guys update or change the program it should’ve been listed and somehow mantioned in your updated list.

However I don’t believe you guys specifically changed this function specifically but somehow it was on the way when you guys coding something else.

The concept is even if I categorize one transaction being split into multiple lines, if all the lines are not categorized, it should show up as uncategorized transaction as part of its transaction is still suspense, otherwise manager should not allow me to split it in multiple lines.

It’s not a mistake but manager allowed me to do so otherwise manager must prevent for me not to make the mistake.

Manager used to work like what I explained until just few months ago. If you guys keep saying it was not supposed to do this way, then the manager got this bug last 5 years at least? However, I believe unless manager does not allow to split one transaction into multiple lines, it must show unfinished categorizing transactions in the uncategorized list.

This is not only for suspense transaction but also other suspense items. it’s all mixed up in this page so not so conveient to look for uncategorized transaction here. Also it more make sense that any uncategorized transaction(partially not done yet) must show in uncategorized transaction list too as it belongs to transactions as well.

Also another reason why I don’t want to use/look at the suspense account is that there are items that are not actually suspense but they show up in this account so I cannot only track suspense items.
Below is the quick screen shot.

The last transaction in the suspense account was actually categorised correctly however it still shows up in the suspense account.

This never bother me as I didn’t use this to be honest however, this would be an issue if you insist I was using the manager in a wrong way and now need to use this.

@chris.chai, you keep defending your use of the Suspense account as some kind of reminder note pad. I will say this as plainly as possible. Anything in Suspense is a mistake. No matter what your workflow is, or what type of record you are entering in any tab, a default assignment to Suspense is a mistake waiting to be corrected.

The program tries, by putting transactions into Suspense so you can correct it. The alternative—used by many accounting programs—would be to discard everything you have entered or imported. Would you prefer that? Probably not.

Ignoring the mistakes in Suspense does not make them go away. Let me finish be emphasizing again that there are no legitimate suspense items to track, only mistakes to fix.

1 Like

Ok then can you simply tell me why manager shows partially uncategorized transaction in the uncategorized transaciton list? Please tell me if it was meant not to show up so you guys corrected it recently? Please don’t just keep telling me it’s my mistake. If manager was not designed this way from the beginning, then tell me it was not then I would stop complaining however, you guys keep telling me like I am asking something new and not the right thing when I was complaining sort of “disappeared/stopped feature” like you called it’s my misuses.

Exactly. so Manager should keep it as suspense so I can correct it when I want to.

This transaction is receivable so this payment has to assign to an invoice not categorized by item. It’s not a mistake to fix if you see it closer. There’s nothing wron in my screenshot with my 5+ years experience using this Manager. Please explain @Tut

@chris.chai, all my posts in this topic have addressed your misconceptions about how to use the Suspense account. You keep dragging the discussion back to uncategorized transactions in the Bank Accounts tab. But frankly, when your Suspense account is loaded with uncorrected mistakes, I have no idea what is going on with uncategorized transactions. Remember, no other forum user can see your accounts. We see just a few scattered screen shots. So it difficult to diagnose some behaviors, because we cannot trace from one thing to another.

You also keep referring to @Ealfardan, @Patch, and myself as though we are the software developers and have changed something without your knowledge that is causing you problems. None of us is. So none of us is responsible for what you experience. We are all users who have tried to help. And we have all pointed out that you are misunderstanding the Suspense account. It is entirely possible you have been misunderstanding for the 5+ years you say you have been using Manager. We cannot do anything about that. Nor can we do anything about how Manager may have responded differently over that time to your misuse. The program has been almost entirely rewritten over that time span. It is meant to function correctly when used properly. It cannot always protect you from your own actions.

So are you guys the software developer or not? however, if you were not and don’t know everything what was going on the developing side, you should’ve not told me I was using it wrong and all problem caused from my mistake. And the reason wahy I keep dragging it back is that your answer is simply not enough/correct. Definitely you guys changed/or possibly can say it’s fixed recently as you kept saying manager never designed to do my way. The reason why I am 100% confident that you guys changed something in your recent updates as I can see now all uncategorized transaction font colours are grey when it was black. Also credit and debits were used to be black and red. Now they are all in grey too.
And this was the time this problem(I would still say so even if you are not agree) started to happen.

If you guys don’t want to fix bugs or anything wrong, just don’t reply my comment. However don’t just judge something too quick I am probably wrong or you guys probably wrong specially you don’t know everything. I was trying to fix the wrong thing being a user. Also you guys didn’t answer all of my questions but only things you guys want to answer, in my point of view.

Dear @chris.chai, just relax and glance over the whole thing again.

Is one way of correcting suspense lines (i.e. Suspense clearing) not enough?

I can only assume from where the discussion is going that you want to correct the same transaction twice: once from Uncategorized bank screen and again from suspense.

The thing is, why is this a bug? Just think about it, we are end users as well and we use bank imports and this doesn’t bother us the least. Why is that? Because If you just stop being hung up on the fact that something changed for a bit, maybe you will come to realize: “hey it still works just fine!”

I mean sure, there are changes but:

• Were your inputs affected by thw change? No.
  • Was any of your work outcomes affected? No.
  • Was the actual state of any suspense lines affected? No.
  • Did the figures change? No.
  • Did you lose track of affected transactions? No.

What happened is that you were used to doing things one way but now it’s just slightly different, which kind of sucks until you get used to the new way. But, is it really a bug? We don’t know, it depends on the developer’s intentions.

Either way, whether it’s a bug to be fixed or not, many unpaid users have tried to show you another way to solve your problem on their own time. I mean the least you can do in return is to give it a try and see if it’s livable.

2 Likes