Ububtu | Application Data Folder

Where is the manager application data folder in ubuntu server?

i am not sure but try .local/manager

Here you go:

That’s for Ubuntu desktop. It should be similar for server edition.

I’ll actually check right now to confirm that though…
EDIT: Confirmed. I checked my copy of Server Edition that I was trialling.

You can find out for sure where your files are located by running a find:

sudo find / -name '*.manager'

That was helpful.

The problem is I installed manager as root user.
So, I just found the directory is-

root/.local/share/Manager

And, I can’t access this directory when I logged in as sudo user.
I think, I should re-install manager as a sudo user.

sudo = “super user do”, it is not an actual user. When you prefix a command with ‘sudo’, you are effectively running that command as root. It’s the same thing.

So you probably don’t need to reinstall anything.

What is the actual problem you are facing? What are you trying to do?

Let’s start at the beginning.

I am sorry.
You wanted to help, but I am late.

From the beginning
I have a VPS/Ubuntu 16.04 on linode.

I used PuTTY and loggen in as root. And then installed Manager.
When I need to update manager, I use FileZilla, log in as root and replace the program files. It’s OK.

Later, I needed to use FreeFileSync to sync application data folder /home/USER/.local/share/Manager.
FreeFileSync needs GUI. So, I tried VNC and other options but couldn’t find that path.

Because,
as I installed Manager as root, so, the path is root/.local/share/Manager
VNC and other RDP doesn’t allow to login as root, so, I couldn’t find the path.

Later, I logged in as root using xrdp and sync that path.
But, I think, I shouldn’t log in as root using RDP.
And, I shouldn’t install Manager when logged in as root at the very first time.

I should re-install Manager as an user.
But, I don’t know how to uninstall Manager first.

Since it’s a server farm, have you considered simply switching off the instance/service, and starting up another fresh one? If the only thing you have installed is Manager, this would be the simplest path forward as you’ll get a fresh instance to play with.

1 Like

@Abu_Hasan - With all due respect, I think you might be making this harder for yourself that it needs to be.

@ShaneAU has wisely suggested that you create a new VPS and start again. Before doing so, all you would need to do is backup your current Manager to you local computer in readiness for a new installation.

If you are wanting to just run Manager Server on your Ubuntu Server VPS, you do not need the overhead of a gui on it, and therefore will not need to have the additional overhead and worry of using things like rdp, xrdp, vnc, ftp, filezilla etc etc, so assuming that you are not needing a gui for anything else on your VPS, there is no reason to have one.

If it is the Manager Server Edition on an Ubuntu VPS you wish to run, then all you need to do is follow this information here:- Ubuntu | Manager

Periodically to update it, you only need to periodically follow part of the installation procedure where you download and extract the new .gz file (after having removed the original one), and then restarting the Manager service

wget https://mngr.s3.amazonaws.com/17.10.80/ManagerServer.tar.gz -P /usr/share/manager-server

Then untar downloaded ManagerServer.tar.gz using following command

tar -xzf /usr/share/manager-server/ManagerServer.tar.gz -C /usr/share/manager-server

sudo systemctl restart manager-server

Failing that, the cloud edition will of course relieve you of having to do any system administration of this sort

1 Like

I figured, it’s the best solution.

You are right.
It is harder now.

After starting fresh, I will follow as you suggested.