Suggestion on updates

As releases seem so few and far between now, would it be possible to put a date on the downloads page so that its easier to know whether you have already downloaded the latest release?
it’s difficult to tell whether you already downloaded it or not as it stands

2 Likes

Just compare the version you have installed with the one indicated on the download page?

I appreciate that you can do that Mark, but that means loading up your current version to find out what it is. With a date when the release was done, it would be simpler

1 Like

When you open Manager you can see the version number. On the downloads page you can verify. Also even though like now updates are not many but sometimes there are several in one day, then dates do not make sense.

By the way the first digits represent the day. 24.1.19 means 19 January (1) 2024 (24)

2 Likes

I think we get an email on every update. But besides that, it seems to me programmatically doable to add some kind of indicator at the top of Manager:

and

Manager could check through the Internet whether or not it is up to date when Manager starts. In case the user’s practice is to leave their computer on and the Manager open 24/7, then the Manager could check once a week while it is open.

Maybe an icon would be better?

The placement of the notice would be in the master layout file of Manager so that the notice appears on all pages regardless of whether you are in Setup or Payments and no matter which business you are in.

1 Like

We would go crazy. Sometimes several updates in a day.

Many that prefer to use the Desktop version do that because they may have poor internet.

1 Like

I appreciate your comments on the ideas.

On the email, I was not talking about a change. But now, I realize the reason I get an email when there is an update is only because of my preferences settings on this forum. And Lubos posts to tell us about an update’s new features, problems fixed, etc. So, yes, I see you are correct that we don’t get emails triggered by a new update.

On the Internet check for whether an update is needed, I mean the desktop version of Manager would check through the Internet. You bring up a good point that many have poor Internet. So, it would be paramount that if implemented, the feature would not hang the whole app when there is only partial or no Internet. And I think the feature would be programmatically possible even with poor Internet. When data is unavailable through the Internet, Manager would simply not provide up-to-date / update-needed status.

However, whether users would want such a feature is a different question. I don’t feel the feature is important for me because I am okay with seeing Lubos’s posts via email about updates. And anyway, I subscribe to the cloud version. So, I would always see “up-to-date” anyway.