Suggestion: Do we really need an option to hide descriptions?

Thanks to few users requests to show tax calculations in invoice lines, we now have a really messy invoice, order and quote layout. And I really understand @lubos decision of giving in to the pressure instead of endless futile arguments to convince users that such format is not required by law.

However, I don’t think the current implementation is best for everyone and I can go on forever talking about why things should be handled differently but I am going to spare everyone the lengthy rant and just display the end results.

Currently we have this:

What we should’ve had was this:

And when you check Show inline tax calculations you should get this:

1 Like

The justification is this, the split was about whether inline tax calculation were necessary. The changes made catered to those who insisted on inline tax calculations but the costs of this change were borne by everyone.

The few who want inline taxes are happy, but everyone else have to bear with the mess.

Instead, those in favor of inline tax calculations can have their wish but will bear the expense of having longer lines. So they are Happy.

The majority who were satisfied with the minimum required information do not have to bear with the costs of the changes. They are happy as well.

Why are you creating a new post about exactly the same? From your screenshots I can frankly not discern a difference as they are the same as long as “line description” is clicked which can be made a default. So not clear what issue you are raising.

In the other topic you said it’s different! Why don’t you pick something and stick with it?

Read and you will understand.

OK, not my issue, good luck.

There are two tax calculation methods. you can either calculate tax amounts per each line item, round them then add them up. Or you can calculate tax amount over entire invoice taxable total.

Due to rounding, these two methods are not producing the same result. Double-entry accounting systems always calculate tax amounts per each line item separate and showing this while you are creating transaction is to serve as reinforcement of what’s happening. This will better match user’s expectations.

Now, I agree, the layout is different, arguably a bit worse because it’s more busy but this will be easy to calibrate in upcoming days.

I wasn’t specifically working on tax calculations in edit mode. It’s just a side-effect of much bigger internal change which will allow me to implement many feature requests easier.

2 Likes

That’s true. And I have never really thought of it, especially since in my country I have to report the total tax base and the government will round on the total period sales. So rounding the lines or the total invoices will always yield differences with the tax authorities. But Idk about other countries if they allow rounding differences in their tax returns.

Good to know that you agree. I am really looking forward to that.

BTW thanks for your tremendous efforts. I really appreciate the big changes that took place over a short period of time. Off course you wouldn’t know it because of all the whining :sweat_smile:

I prefer the edit screen showing calculated values on line item so tax exclusive and tax inclusive are shown. The reason

• faster data entry as manual calculation are not required (mostly for more complex invoices with rounding issues)

• clearer user understanding. Users often complain Manager has not calculated tax properly.

• consistent user interface. All values can be in the same location, just change what is calculated.

I can see other users may have a different option. A user preference to show or hide line item calculated values maybe a solution

1 Like

I have to agree that those are valid reasons for displaying inline calculations.

Is it not possible to do all this background work on a test system and when you are complete, just deploy it to the live cloud/server and desktops versions? Easier for you and easier for the users if the changes were applied when you were finished working on whatever you are doing in the background.

but no testing by users then :frowning: