"Sticky" Memory Dates on Transactions

For those of us who do “after the fact” accounting, is there a way to make the dates on transaction entries (receipts, payments) “sticky” so they would remember from one posting to the next and need to be changed, only when moving from one period (day, month, quarter, etc) to the next?

Please explain better, ideally with screenshots. You may know intrinsically what you want but for us to help you need to be much more explicitly stating your case.

1 Like

Not possible. But you can use clone feature which clones the date too, but that way you have to clear the data of previous transaction (which u have cloned) and enter data of new transaction which look more work than just searching for the date and selecting it for your new transaction.

1 Like

Sticky dates would also be of little value in your situation. Suppose you enter accounting transactions monthly, which many people do. That in no way implies all your transactions occurred at the end of the month. Your transaction dates need to match the documentation that supports them, or you will never pass an audit.

I’m certainly not arguing the validity of your point, but when I do the bookkeeping portion of my preparation for filing an LLC return, usually months after the fact, the 'monthly" date you refer to is quite adequate for those purposes. The real documentation is still valid and would survive any scrutiny. But thanks for your help. I did find the Guide files that had more than dead links, and they have been helpful.

It is not the documentation that must survive scrutiny in an audit, but your accounting records. Entries deliberately differing from documentation would cast suspicion over everything. No auditor of my experience would accept such irregularities. Nor would it meet requirements of the tax authority in your specific jurisdiction.

2 Likes