Show "Paid from" and "Received in" account when we view bank and cash transactions

I think it very important that, in bank and cash transactions, the Received in and Paid from accounts be displayed on printed transactions. So if i just go to my archives and pick a record, i wouldn’t need to go on the system before I figure out which of the bank or cash accounts was involved in the transactions. I could use a custom field but it may bring an error and also I will need to update my list with the creation of any bank or cash account, an automatic function will be better.

I also want to add that, users must be able to view transfer of money and print. In my work place we need to print it.

You will never be able to view or print Bank Transfers - because you can’t look at two completely separate bank accounts simultaneously.

Bank Transfer in long hand would be:

1. Acct A - Spend Money - Credit Bank/Cash account and Debit contra ???
  2. Acct B - Receive Money - Debit Bank/Cash account and Credit contra ???
    So you could go to either Account (A or B) and view and print the full transaction - but not both together at the same time.

The Bank Transfer feature in Manager allows you to truncate the two entries into a single entry - therefore the Bank Transfer in short hand would be:

1. Acct A - Spend Money - Credit Bank/Cash and Acct B - Receive Money Debit Bank/Cash

As there is no ??? contra entry in either the A or B account - there is no actual transaction to view or print.

The suggestion about account identification has been made before. If it is implemented, I think it should be optional. Many businesses would not wish to show any information about internal account allocations or account identification to a customer or supplier on a receipt or payment voucher.

As for transfers, wouldn’t the ability to print the current Edit screen satisfy your need, @Abeiku ?

@Brucanna You have a point but I don’t think it enough. There may be times you will want to send the the transaction to someone else for filing or something else, attaching the PDF generated document from view and mailing it would be the right thing to do.

The transaction must be the same regardless where you view it from. (spending account or Receiving account)
In many organizations in my locality almost every transaction is printed and attached to it source document and filled as a prove it has been entered in the system. It is not a very big issue though, but if it wouldn’t require a lot of work to make it viewable, then it could just be made viewable. See a snap shot of a company i am currently working on their account, they print every transfer.

@Tut I was referring to the accounts involved in spend and receive money like in the picture below.

I am referring to the account circled in red which represent the cash or bank account involved in the transaction . But I have also thought about why the one circled in blue (accounts involved in invoices, credit notes etc) doesn’t show, allowing it to be optional like you suggested would be best.

Yes, @Abeiku, I understood that. Obviously, in a transfer, there are no accounts involved beyond the from and to accounts. So, to repeat my question, does being able to print what’s on the Edit screen for a transfer satisfy your needs in those cases?

Printing from the edit screen is helpful, but, an edit screen is an edit screen, it can never be taken serious like the view . An edit screen technically means the transaction or the changes haven’t been entered into the system.

Yes, but Bank Transfer is neither a Spend or Receive Money, that’s why there is 3 buttons

A Bank Transfer only has a single entry in each account

There is no contra (or ???) entry to display - which applies to standard Spend/Receive

The example provided above is not a Bank Transfer but a Spend Money - refer to the bottom left - “Cheque # 002192 …”. The Bank Transfer should only be used for online transactions where there is no source accounting document - not when there are cheques involved.

Why is a printed “edit” screen (replica of the source transaction) less serious then a printed “view”, which is just the edit screen displayed differently. A printed “view” could become outdated where as the saved “edit” will always be the latest.

Anyway, the repeated suggestion of printing the Bank Transfer edit screen wont work because NO Receive Money, Spend Money or Bank Transfer transaction in edit screen has a print option - only the “view” screen has the print option - and as know Bank Transfers don’t a view option

@Abeiku and @Brucanna, my question was not about printing the Edit screen, which I admit looks unprofessional, but about Viewing and printing a screen with the same information, possibly with the standard business header.

I freely admit there would be no additional information. But as was pointed out, there currently is no print capability at all without resorting to a screen grabber of some sort. So my original question remains. Let me amplify on it a bit: If a View button was added to Transfer transactions, yielding the same information as now shows on the Edit screen, and you could then Print the View screen, would that address the need?

Personally, I would have no use for such a capability, as the bank statements involved would prove the transaction. But if others would find this useful, it seems like that would be a relatively simple addition.

@Brucanna it a bank transfer using a cheque as the financial instrument, that how they do it. The Organisation as a control measure disallows online transactions, and every transaction must go through the normal process of authorization with the bank account signatories signing every transaction. The company uses Tally ERP 9

I acknowledge that you may refer to the transaction as a Bank Transfer because that is the result - the shifting of funds from one bank account into another bank account, but in reality you are Spending Money by drawing the cheque and are Receiving Money by depositing the cheque (even if you don’t actually post a Receive Money transaction).

With regards to Manager, the Bank Transfer feature is deigned for online transactions where “no” financial instrument exists.

Those accounting systems that were designed/built from the Chart of Accounts up can allow direct postings between bank accounts. Manager was designed/built from the Balance Sheet down via control accounts, so therefore has certain banking transaction limitations - hence the Bank Transfer button

Another example is paying off a credit card balance by cheque. If the credit card has been created as a bank account in Manager, this is a transfer with no need to make separate Spend and Receive Money transactions. Although I personally rely on the bank and credit card statements as proof of the transaction, other users might prefer to be able to print a voucher.

1 Like

If you are paying the credit card by cheque then you are Spending Money out of a Bank Account (just like any other cheque payment) and Receiving Money on to the Credit Card when deposited. As this isn’t a transfer you do need to have separate Spend and Receive Money transactions, otherwise, how else can you record the cheque # in the bank account.

A transfer would be if you paid the credit card via online banking