Should Manager Desktop run in browser instead of standalone application

The most basic would be

• install Manager on a desktop computer

To run

• start local server
  • the open a web link to 127.0.0.1 in the users default browser

The above process can be tried now by

• instal Manger desktop
  • make a link to managerserver.exe in the program directory, then open it.
  • Make a link to http://127.0.0.1:8080 save it in the same location as server link above. The open it

Alternatively

• instal Manger desktop
  • make a link to managerdesktop.exe in the program directory, then open it then immediately minimise the window.
  • Make a link to http://127.0.0.1:55667 save it in the same location as server link above. The open it

Btw @dalacor I have no objection to questioning the status quo, but actually changing it though requires much more stringent conditions :slight_smile:

You are not reading my post properly. I am not proposing that users install the server version. You are right - it is too hard for end users to do all that. What I am suggesting is that the server version be adapted to install in the same way that the desktop version installs (i.e. the user clicks on a setup file and the install does the installation, but instead of having a complete standalone app that Manager runs in, that Manager is run on the desktop computer’s browser be it Edge, Safari, Firefox or Chrome. Not IE!

I am simply suggesting that Manager desktop run by default on the default browser. It would simplify a lot of things for supporting desktop users and also make installing the server version on Servers just that bit easier.

I agree. If it does, it needs to be done properly to make it easy for end users to “install” and use. I think it’s doable. Manager already runs very well in a browser. Why does it need a separate app for the desktop version.

Cost structure of NG Software products. The desktop version is free but the server version is not.

That’s irrelevant. The desktop version of the server install can still have single user set for it. It does not require much programming to define single or multi user. Far less work than designing an independent application for the desktop version.

I sincerely don’t know how you can make this kind of analisys not being the developer of the software.

It is clear that the desktop version is just a wrapper of the server version and Lubos has already stated that it doesn’t take him so much work to keep this version updated.

So, if he is not a masochist, the way he uses to deliver desktop version is for sure the fastest and easiest.

3 Likes

This is how the very first versions of Manager were. Turns out people didn’t like it. Keep in mind, only small minority of users understand how Manager is technically put together and are not intimidated by it.

For most users, installing app, then seeing the app opening web-browser (aka “Internet”) is confusing. They don’t want it.

Why not force hide the toolbar/tabs? I bet the average joe wouldn’t know it’s a browser. :grimacing:

That is not well-supported across web-browsers. For example, launching Microsoft Edge in kiosk mode will insist on full-screen experience. Not sure if Safari supports this at all. Chrome does it well (they call it app-mode). Firefox has site-specific browser feature but that’s disabled by default. So very inconsistent implementation across the board.

Fair enough. I would still recommend going back to that. It would make programming a lot easier and end your reliance on 3rd party products such as the issue causing the crashing in macs as well having to install Webview etc. Relying on 3rd party products has now become your Achilles heel.

Yes I can see why some people would not like using Manager in a browser as they will think that they are connecting to the Internet or they close their Internet down simultaneously closing Manager down as well if they have many tabs open. But in the greater scheme of things, I think any users that don’t initially like it will adapt very quickly and it won’t even be an issue. Cloud and Server users have no problems using the browser.

Having the ability to open in a new tab things within Manager more than makes up for any issues users have with it. I think the problem in the past is a lot of people used IE which was not a good browser.

I will agree with Lubos. Nice idea in principle, but will actually be an administrative nightmare to maintain as browsers are always changing their backend all the time. Just not worth it. I suspect the main problem is that people had many tabs open and kept forgetting that Manager was open when they closed their browser. But as more and more services are now cloud based, I don’t see this as an issue as they will have their email open in a browser etc! Things have changed a lot in the last five years. So what was an argument against a browser over 5 years ago, may not be true today.

One of the reasons I switched to Manage is because it has a desktop version. Many Popular programs are switching to online subscription service only, which I am not a fan of. I am a more tradition, a computer is made to install programs and do your work, while the internet was made to research information, buy stuff online, and the likes. I would even pay for desktop license if it was reasonably priced. Free is nice, but I understand the work that goes into making a good product.

So no, for me the desktop version does not need to go away!

1 Like

We have relatively challenged internet access. So while we maintain the data in a server version we download it for auditor and accountant when they need it They then review using the desktop version which we advise to download as we maintain the server version up to date. So removing the desktop versions is as many feel and state not a good thing. We also use the desktop version to try different methods, settings, etc and also use it as a learning environment. This would be possible with the online version also by using a test business but as mentioned not only is internet here erratic it is also expensive. As our team and business is split over locations we could not mutually work with Manager and only for that reason adopted the server version. If only on one site I think especially for small businesses like ours the free desktop versions help with developing their business and have better accounting practices and financial insight. So yes, the USP of Manager is its support of a multitude of platforms and offline and online options where data can be exchanged via backup and import effortless and transparently. Does this add to the complexity, that depends on how the application is developed? I think that @lubos knows what he is doing and also at the moment possibly is making the code even easier to implement across platforms. So keep it up!

Hi
I am a long time user of the desktop version as I use it for for home accounts and projects as I cannot afford cloud versions and negates the need to run spreadsheet apps.
Manager is the best free version I have used for its simplicity, flexibility and richness of functionality.
It is simple to install and to upgrade, I love the ability to run it in the browser and NG continue too provide enhancements and grow their product.
I thank NG for keeping a free version and hope it continues

1 Like

You cannot possibly “quit” the Desktop version.
It is the only accounting package that I have ever understood due to (A) the persons on this forum offering genuine help, and (B) the adaptability of the developers.
I have lost track of the number of colleagues, friends, business associates that I have recommended to Manager. They are using the desktop and have nothing but praise for the program.
If you dump the Desktop version then you lose valuable potential new subscribers to other paying versions.

2 Likes

@clive , @Gadgetman , @eko and @Ben7230 if you read the entire topic, you will see that the idea of stopping the desktop version has been abandoned as a local install is a key draw factor for many users.

The topic has moved onto the suggestion of having a local install where Manager runs within your browser - but it’s not on the Internet, it is still a local install. The advantage of running Manager Desktop in a browser would be reduced programming time, reduced dependencies on 3rd party programs like Webview2 and last but not least reduced number of OS specific bugs.

The server version and the cloud version already runs within your browser. So the question being asked - why not do the same for the Desktop version. It will still run locally on your computer, just in a browser.

1 Like

I have edited the title to better reflect the current discussion.

Not sure if that is a discussion. @lubos made clear he did not see a problem with the current system. I see a benefit for the programmer where at least some part of his efforts are rewarded in monetary terms while also genrously providing a great piece of desktop software for free with the limitations of not really being multi-user as no user restrictions (login) nor multi location. Making it browser based indeed will be similar to the server version and as such will enhance functionality of the desktop version but it would be easy to make it work as the network version and thus people like me who are on very tight budgets would no longer pay for a network version. So what is the benefit for the developer?

I have already mentioned that the desktop version (while browser based) could be made single user only. It’s not that difficult to make it single/multi user. I am not suggesting that the desktop be multi user. I think that benefit should remain with cloud/server based versions.

As for whether it should change, naturally only the developer can decide that. The purpose of this topic is to provide feedback and alternative viewpoints. Businesses can’t improve if they don’t know what their customers want.

The benefit for the developer would be far fewer issues with 3rd party requirements for the desktop version, less time spent programming for different operating systems and in general less work!

Well, first of all, web browsers as far as I know is a “Third Party app” regardless the only thing we can hope it doesn’t screw adding or remove certain features that might screw how the program web server works. Stability is not an issue with web browser more like policy in implementing certain ideas for convienience or security.

About the desktop app which is I agree is a “wrapper”. We can actually adopted the current “container” concept which is readily available like “portableapps” in windows or “appimage” for linux which I known then the dependency of latest component (dependencies) can be controll to be use for the desktop version. Isolate it.

It is still double click to open the desktop app. except it doesn’t rely on operation system current version depedencies.

The only drawback like myself unable to change like .json file since it is packaged and unaccesible with the tools to edit the package.

I daresay the only reason lubos and his team willing to take on maintenance of different desktop OS is for marketing to get new users plus testers. :smiley:

I came from convienience of desktop environment installation when I found out Manager randomly via opensource community sites. 2 years down the road now became server user + learning caddy webserver with let’s encrypt + dockers + app image. lol

I did posted about “changelog” and “release” version and “unstable” version of installation. which was then silent.

So… I adopt policy ever since don’t upgrade until you actually backup every files and data just incase try to update. Having virtual server or extra computer helps with PIA situation later on aha.

Additionally, when you update to certain version, download all other OS installation as well for the same version. just incase.

1 Like