Server version differences

Top menu bar

On the Windows desktop versions the the top menu bar is always visible ( it does not scroll). If I open the desk top version in a new window (eg Firefox) it behaves the same way.

On the Widows server versions the top menu bar scrolls with the window body. I mostly don’t mind except that result in the “Back” button scrolling off the screen all the time which is less than Ideal. Is this intentional?

Guides

Guide links are included in the desktop version but not the server version. I assume this is to make it easy for white labelled servers.

1. What is the recommended method of maintaining current Guide links in the server version. One way is to do a desktop install then copy “Guides.json” from the desktop to server program directory.

2. While that works it is unclear to me how often this process needs to be repeated, is it with every server program update?

3. It would seam more logical to have the NG Software Guides.json included in the official server distribution. Then if white labelled server administrators want to removed it, then they could easily delete it, or replace it with their own (with version control appropriate to their installation). A procedure which could be appropriately described here Self-host a Manager installation | Manager

1 Like

Yes. Or, looked at another way, to give control over where restricted users get their help. A server installation owner may not want their staff looking up guidance about tasks they are not assigned to perform, or reading general information irrelevant to specific, tailored company processes.

Yes. The file is updated with the current list of Guide tags with every new program version.

Deleting a guides.json file for those that want to is easier than extracting the file from another distribution for every program update.

Alternatively the two missing server files could be added to the desktop download Server edition download

1 Like