Search changed, no longer searches multiple fields

Guides show that you can enter multiple search strings by putting a space between each string. Unfortunately, Search no longer works that way in the Cloud Edition.

The new Search allows you to search using embedded space characters. That means

Bobs Hardware

finds “Bobs Hardware” with exactly one space.

However, frankly, the old Search was more useful to me than the new Search because the old Search could search multiple fields. The new Search is limited to only one field.

I wonder if the new Search is what @lubos intends. Or is it an intermediary stage on the way to an even better Search?

What would be nice is to add quotes so you can specify strings that include spaces. What would be even nicer if you could additionally specify what you want to use for quote characters. For example, you could specify single quotes instead of double quotes. Or you could specify an opening and a closing parenthesis. But whether @lubos adds the quoting for embedded spaces, goes back to the old Search, or implements something far better (which he often does), I hope @lubos makes it so you can search multiple fields.

I hope @lubos will tell us what he has in mind for the future of Search.

Note: Specifically, I tried searching Payments and Receipts.

This was a regression. It’s fixed in the latest version (23.2.17.647)

But search is getting better. Now that quite a few screens contain Edit Columns, you will be able to search through data you couldn’t before.

For example, in Payments tab, you can add Accounts column and then search only for payments involving specific account.

3 Likes

@lubos,

I tried Search again, and it is indeed fixed. And thank you for pointing out the Edit Columns.

It is not even 24 hours since I posted. You already saw, comprehended, fixed, and responded.

Thank you much.