Sales Tax Reports

Hello, I have few locations and I use tracking code for each location. And I am trying to print sales tax payable report but I do not see an option for tracking code/location code. Is there a work around for this? maybe custom report query or if this can be added that would be great. No of the sales tax reports have tracking code.

Thank you for the awesome program.

Only P&L transactions can be recorded with Tracking Codes. The tax factor of those transactions is posted (stripped) to the BS Tax Payable account and therefore there is no linkage between tracking codes (P&L) and the BS tax account, so such a tax report is not available.

If the different locations use different sales tax rates (because they are in different jurisdictions, for example), be sure to define different tax codes. This will automatically show results under separate codes for the different locations. But you could also define different custom tax codes just to separate reporting, even if the components of tax (state, county, city) are the same.

So a store in Broward County might use a tax code named FL/BWD Sales Tax, while one in Dade County would use FL/DADE Sales Tax.

Multi-component sales taxes are not simple to handle in Manager if paid to different authorities, possibly on different schedules. See this Guide for further information: Manager Cloud.

Both Locations use the same tax rate. But they both have different bank account to pay from and different sales tax account numbers to pay to.

So at the end of the month, when I go to sales tax reports then It shows all taxable transactions with both locations. Now Its hard to manually separate them when you have 1000+ transactions each month. So there should be a way to print report for particular tracking codes.

This is not what tracking codes were meant to do. Tracking codes were originally designed for profit/loss accounting of separate divisions or branches. Sales tax accounting involves temporary balance sheet accounting, while you are holding taxes collected on behalf of the government from customers. Sales taxes collected and remitted are not part of your profit and loss statement.

In this case, I would definitely create separate tax codes. Once I had done that, I would archive the previous code. While you might be tempted to use it for one of the location’s codes, that could lead to confusion later, because it would include transactions originally meant for another code. (If you’ve got thousands of transactions, I doubt you want to go back and recode them all for the new tax codes.)

There is no question Manager handles reporting of custom, multi-component codes poorly. The developer acknowledges this. That is a disadvantage of operating in a jurisdiction where sales taxes are the norm, rather than offsetting value added taxes, which is what Manager’s underlying tax scheme was first designed for. But the original concept is so deeply baked into the program now that improvements are slow to come.