Reports related with tracking code

hi

i have used tracking code to track all cash, bank, sales and almost any transaction that can be tracked with tracking code and now i have some question regarding report in relation with tracking code, i notice that only profit and loss report that can use the tracking code natively. why cant i use these code to make balance sheet per code, or any report at all?

The software is designed this way. Iā€™m not saying that I like it but you can use tracking codes only for profit and loss.

if its so, its such a awful waste of data.

1 Like

You can split balance sheet in many other different way, ie special accounts.

There has been discussion about the introduction of divisional accounting, this would give you 'tracking codes" for both BS & P&L. When, who knows.

I could also really do with the balance sheet being reported by tracking code. I have one business with several locations and Iā€™d like to be able to see what assets I have invested in each location. Is it possible to do this through custom reporting? I canā€™t seem to work out how to use the custom reporting. Thanks

Use a custom field to indicate location. Then export the Fixed Assets tab listing and manipulate it in a spreadsheet.

No. Custom reports just return the result of queries of the database. In other words, they are lists of entries or transactions, not balances in accounts. You cannot perform calculations in them.

Have you read this Guide: https://www.manager.io/guides/18075? I will not pretend they are easy.

Hi Tut, thanks for your inputā€¦ the thing is Iā€™m already using the tracking codes, so by adding a custom field to indicate location, I would be putting the location in twice. If the tracking codes showed as a column, this would be really helpful, because you could then export all purchase invoices for example, or all the invoices in a TFA A/C, and immediately see which location the assets were tagged to. At the moment the only way to view the tracking code is to edit each invoice (highly impractical), or see those that qualify as overheads in the P&L. Do you know if itā€™s possible to have the tracking codes appear as a column? Thanks

Tracking codes cannot be displayed on balance sheet accounts, @FCP. Therefore, you cannot display them in a column. That was simply never their purpose.

True, but you would only need to do that once for each asset, at time of acquisition. So it really would not be much of a burden if it helps you get the information you want.

Iā€™ve just realised that part of the problem is we have not been using the the system correctly when it comes to fixed assets. Rather than creating the fixed assets under the fixed assets tab, we created our fixed assets accounts in the chart of accounts and tagged them to assets. Unfortunately, the system does not seem to give you the option to tag to ā€˜fixedā€™ assets specifically from the chart of accounts, so all the fixed assets accounts we created, and the purchase invoices tagged to those accounts, do not show up in the fixed assets tab. For me to fix this now would mean creating all the accounts in the fixed assets tab and then retagging all my invoices with assets (there are lots) to the new fixed assets accounts, unless you know of a quick way to move them to a different account. It would still be helpful if we had the option to show the tracking codes as a column in purchase invoicesā€¦ is this possible? Thanks

Have you tried a journal entry?

Yes, thatā€™s true, I could do that to move things to the correct Fixed Asset A/Cs, but I would still really like the option to see tracking codes as a column, at least in Purchase Invoices and Sales Invoices. It would be extremely helpful, so Iā€™m hoping theyā€™ll implement that. Thanks

Using a Journal, wonā€™t allow for the manually created Fixed Asset COAā€™s to be deleted as they would always contain transactions.

Then you can use Custom Control Accounts.
Under Settings > COA create the location account (LHS image) then edit the fixed asset to assign the control account (RHS image)

LHS 0000000%20Bug%202 RHS 0000000%20Bug%202a

Thanks, Iā€™ll discuss this option with our accountant.

@FCP - what I forgot to show, the control account is then shown under the fixed assets tab.
0000000%20Bug%201a

Ok, many thanks

How Manager can be used for recording properties and corresponding processes caught my attention so I drafted here some steps which can maybe help but IMO the below property structure is how I would do it, atleast as of now based on current knowledge of Managerā€¦

Getting good reports is here the main goal so this structure uses to full extent the Tracking Codes so that all needed info can be easily be extracted from Custom Reports. Also Purchase Orders/Invoices can be used for all types below. Fixed Asset tab, Special Accounts tab and Control accounts are not used as I could not extract dimensional information for reports for those, but maybe I was not doing it rightā€¦

Atleast for this setup, a key factor is creating Tracking Code for every property, like ā€œ[101] Broadstreet 1ā€ for the first property and ā€œ[102] Narrowstreet 2ā€ for the second property etc. If 101 is not detailed enough for that property then sub-code can be added like ā€œ[101-2] Broadstreet 1 - Topfloorā€ if for example a new floor is built on top of an old building and such project needs a special dimension for KPI and tax purposes etc. Although a Tracking Code list can get very long it should not matter as the dropdown is searchable.

So, if it is always made sure that a Tracking Code is recorded on ALL property records then the Custom Reports will deliver great reports for all four property types below.

BUILDING PROCESS
Create accounts (in a Group in the Chart of accounts), one for each step in a typical building process like suits each business/preference, see below.
If a Custom Report is extracted for one property based on Tracking Code then such a report would detail all cost recorded in each step for that property

Preparation/Design/planning
Lot preparation
Foundation
Built structure
Roof
Windows
Plumbing, electrical, HVAC etc
Exterior
Interior
etc

PROPERTIES FOR SALE (short term)
Use Inventory Items Module
For each Inventory Item, like [105-0302] is a flat nr 2 on third floor for sale in building 105, a corresponding Tracking Code must be made in Settings / Tracking Code. Then in Inventory Items tab the Tracking Code must be selected for the corresponding Inventory Item as a prefill which is important so the Inventory Item pushes forward the Item code into transactions as Inventory Item codes donā€™t get recorded with financial transactions but Tracking Codes do.
Just note that if there is more than one record pr inventory item, then to uncheck ā€œCustom expense account Inventory - Costā€ as the automatic calculated average inventory cost wonā€™t be right and do the Inventory Cost manually.

PROPERTIES (Investment asset class)
These are properties rented out and held as investment for long term
One Property account in Chart of Accounts should do.
New purchases, like renovation etc, are recorded to the account and if Tracking Code with building number is used, like ā€œ[101] Broadstreet 1ā€, its easy to break down for all properties in Custom Reports
When rent income is recorded, then also Tracking Code is recorded with such transactions so can be used in Custom Reports

PROPERTIES (Depreciation report) (long term)
This is property/ies which a business uses for its own operations
One Property account in Chart of Accounts should usually do.
New purchases are recorded to the account and if Tracking Code with building number is used, like ā€œ[101] Broadstreet 1ā€, its easy to break down for all properties in Custom Reports. If further detailed/historic info is needed, then getting a copy of the accountants depreciation table in some spreadsheet file should usually be enough

It would be interesting to get feedback how it can be done differently but still extract good reports

When I produce budget vs actual report of tracking reports, the system limits me to one tracking code per report. To have consolidated report, it requies excel copying and pasting of all the tracking codes.

Can anyone please help me find a way out? I need a single report of budget vs actual showing budgeted vs actual per each tracking code as well as all tracking codes on one runā€¦

Hope am clearā€¦

There is no way out. You either (a) create a bunch of the reports or (b) create one ordinary profit and loss report with comparative columns for all tracking codes and insert columns for all the tracking code budgets after exporting.

I found a solution, but quite hectic using exxel macros etc