Recommendation for standardization of transaction layout

I wasn’t disagreeing with you, @dalacor, just pointing out what I thought the original issue was, at least for this thread. Note, however, that @lubos stated he is trying to address multiple ideas at once.

I’ve incorporated the feedback and here is how it behaves now

Transaction without discounts, tax codes and quantities

Transaction with quantities

Transaction with tax codes (amounts tax inclusive)

Transaction with tax codes (amounts tax exclusive)

Transaction with tax codes (0% tax codes)

Transaction with quantities, discounts and tax codes (amounts tax inclusive)

Transaction with quantities, discounts and tax codes (amounts tax exclusive)

Also every line item can be different - the layout will adapt

1 Like
  1. Can we presume the Qty column behaves as it previously did? That is, if units are all the same, the heading adopts the unit name and, if different, the heading renames as “Qty” and units are listed within the column?

2. The totals are much improved. But I think they could be even simpler. What if the row immediately under the main table was labeled as Totals? Then you could do away with the Sub-total row on tax-exclusive transactions. And you would not need to duplicate the tax code total(s). Place the grand total in the cell that is now empty in what would be the Total-Total position.

3. I also think you could get rid of the Includes Tax Code X% line on tax-inclusive transactions. The tax total would already be shown as described in #2 above. The only difference remaining between inclusive and exclusive layouts would be in the unit price column. If the transaction is tax-inclusive, label that column Unit price with tax. If tax-exclusive, leave it as Unit price.

4. It isn’t clear from your examples how you are now treating multiple-tax-code situations. But can the tax amount column be made to function much like the Qty column? That is, if all tax codes are the same in the Tax column, the heading would adopt the tax code name. But, if tax codes are different, the heading would change to Tax Amount and all tax amounts would be displayed in one column. This would reduce column proliferation. Totals for different tax codes could all be separated in the Totals row, one below the other within the same cell. This would require labeling the amounts in the Totals row under the Tax column. In fact, it might be nice to label all tax totals regardless of the situation.

5. You have not shown how you would handle multi-component custom tax codes. I think a suitable solution would be include the full tax code label and amount on individual line items. Then label and break out the various components in the Totals row. You really cannot handle this by adding more columns for every component, or you could easily end up with transaction forms two or more pages wide.

3 Likes

Much better, thanks. As for “Transaction with tax codes (0% tax codes)” the FIRS wants as is VAT 7.5% but also zero VAT and 0% VAT displayed per line item and under the Total when VAT inclusive and below the Sub-total when VAT exclusive (so all VAT options). As such @Tut’s points 2 and 3 disagreeable, but I do support his points 1, 4 and 5.

1 Like

I’m removing this from ideas because this has been basically implemented in the latest version (22.7.4.161). All transactions are now using the same layout logic.

One exception is sales invoices where I need to be sure everything is working properly before rolling out to everyone.

Therefore on sales invoices, there is temporary checkbox New layout which will enable it on per-invoice basis.

I encourage you to check it so you can see how new layout turns out on your invoices and to see what issues there are still to address.

1 Like
  1. Maybe on invoices with multiple Vat codes items, the layout may be with just one Vat Amount Column, instead of column for every tax code. As an option maybe, so users can choose depending on local tax requirements.
  2. Can the Totals without tax can be exposed to be used in custom themes. We personally need that in Macedonia.
    I have an example here (Tax base before Tax total at the bottom) Recommendation for standardization of transaction layout - #23 by MarV

Tax codes can be already configured that way. If label or tax component name is the same, Manager will group those amounts into single label.

Custom themes are not meant to be solving country-specific needs. This should be supported out of the box. However, if you need tax-exclusive totals, your only option currently is to make invoice where amounts are not tax-inclusive. This will show tax-exclusive sub-total, then tax amount then total.

What I meant was grouping all tax codes amounts under one column. Something like this.

It is not specifically said in law that it should be like that, but it is most common bossiness practice here. So if that data is exposed it would be easier to implement who wants. Now I scan thru items and calculate that unnecessary, when data can be forwarded to the theme.

1 Like

If ‘New layout’ checkbox is there in sales order/quote form also then it would be much more easier when copying to new invoice & comparing. Also, the ‘Amount’ is shown as ‘Price’ in one of the column head i sales order, dont know if that is a mistake or intentional?

Receipt form should also have ‘New Layout’ checkbox

New layout is good but i want qty first and then unit price same as we create invoice same this i want layout and secondly totall item column if you add

New Layout checkbox is temporary only. Just for the transition period.

Price column will show only when using discount. Price is what you’d normally charge if it wouldn’t be for discount.

Product of Qty x Unit price shows in column with heading name ‘Amount’ in sales invoice view, which i think is what it should be, but same column is shown with heading name ‘Price’ in sales order view.

I was thinking maybe tax codes could be configured whether to be displayed in separate columns or not.

Because for example, if I had two VAT rates in the example provided by @MarV 5% and 18%; I might want them to be displayed in a single column but I still want the totals sections to show each tax rate separately.

When I change their label to say just “VAT”:

• I get a single column which is as intended.
  • I also get a single entry “VAT” in the totals which is an unwanted side effect.

That’s why I believe the display of each tax code should be configured separately by the user for each and every tax code.