Purchase invoice auto number

there should be auto numbering on purchase invoices.

purchase invoice numbers are provided by your supplier which is their sales invoice number. there is no use in having auto-numbering for purchase invoices.

1 Like

Automatic Number is different from invoice No. . It is highly recommended for internal Control and requested many times from our external audit.

there should be two field one for automatic numbering and the other one for Supplier invoice no.

It is known that this is not a major problem for most the system users. but since most of the vouchers having now auto numbering it is appreciated if even purchase invoice have two field one for auto number and the other for Invoice No.

all the software I was dealing with have auto numbering for all types of voucher in the system.

i do not know if it is a necessity. but in my view it is not. the reason i say so is because there is no possibility a purchase invoice would arrive to you on the same day it has been made by your supplier. in this case you would enter other purchase invoices of future dates before a purchase invoice of past date is entered. now if there was automatic numbering, the list will not be sorted in a uniform fashion. for example, an invoice dated 1st September will have document number 436 while the recent invoice dated 8th September will have a document number 315.

Why does auto numbering have to represent invoice date sequence ?
Auto numbering, if available, would represent the processing sequence of invoices, those processed in the morning would be numbered before those processed in the afternoon

we close the books on monthly basis therefore, the right treatment is to record the transaction upon the received date no the purchase invoice date. in this case you should make the required accrual recognition at the end of the month.

as I state before in other post. our external auditor is selecting the sample based on our voucher No. for the supplier invoice every supplier has their own Ref No.#. it can’t be traced and you there is a risk that may be Two supplier some day will have the same reference no… I know there are two different suppliers. but where is the internal control.

I am having manual Ref No. but it will be helpful if if is automated.

the pending now only Purchase Invoice, Payslip and bank transaction. looking forward to see this update