Production order issue when material is insufficient

Alright. So this means you do not really advocate for some kind of default cost price (if real one is unavailable) and accept that if there is negative inventory scenario, then cost of goods sold will be always understated. In other words, you accept only real costs to be expensed.

We have an agreement here.

Where we do not have an agreement is that when making production order with insufficent quantities, you want it to proceed with whatever costs are known so if the finished item is sold, then you accept that cost of goods sold will be still understated but less.

This is how Manager worked prior July 2020 and this concept was creating lots of confusion because people knew cost of goods sold was understated, just didn’t understand why. Nowhere the system would tell them why.

Production orders (insufficent quantity) solved this by actually everyone having understanding “why”. Even if you do not agree, it’s not like you are confused and don’t know what is going on. You know very well what is happening. And this is one of the principles I’m following when designing the program. Making sure people actually understand what is going on. There are some trade-offs here to be made.

I can’t go back to implementation that brings less clarity into inventory accounting even if it makes reports “more accurate”. “More accurate” is not good enough. It should either be 100% accurate or the program should scream, shout and kick around. This is what Production in Progress account does.

Now, I’m not saying your complaint is invalid. I just don’t agree with your solution and believe there must be another way that will work for both of us. That is reports could be more accurate (your request) but the program should continue “scream, shout and kick around” (my request).

3 Likes