Problem with 100% pass-through tax rate and foreign currency

It looks like there is a problem with the 100% pass-through tax rate that has been introduced with updates within the last few days. My posts in the topic Historical exchange rates have changed show how I noticed it and identified the source of the issue. I am starting this new topic as it is no longer directly related to the original subject of that thread and might get lost there. I have created a test business to demonstrate the issue:

I have created a base currency (ZWL) and a foreign currency (USD) with a starting exchange rate of 1 ZWL = 0.0005 USD. I have created a tax code of 15% and another pass-through tax code of 100%. I have created a supplier denominated in USD. I have created a purchase invoice from this supplier for an amount of US$100.

If I use the 15% tax code on the purchase invoice, everything looks as expected:

However, if I use the 100% pass-through tax rate, we can see a problem:

Manager is taking a non-existent amount of US$100 in the expense account and multiplying it by the exchange rate to give a debit in the base currency against that expense account. The problem is also evident on the Summary page:

Surely the Accounts payable should be 500,000.00 and the Accounting fees 0.00?

I am using Cloud edition, version 23.7.7.863.

I think something is wrong here.

Kindly show edit screen and invoice of second transaction.

Please show the tax code edit screen of the pass-through tax.

Try this, replace the “Tax Payable” account for the tax code to a liability account. The Tax Payable is just a placeholder.

How would this change anything? Tax payable is a built-in account that is created automatically when tax codes are created, but if I create my own account and call it VAT payable or something it will work in exactly the same way.

I’ve just done a test in the base currency, and it looks like the issue is present there too:

Definitely this is a bug.

1 Like

Fixed in the latest version (23.7.10.867)

1 Like