Possible payslip error date colour

@lubos please review the below screenshot which shows the date for the latest Payslip entry for one person in red that correctly shows that it is yet to be paid. However, the 30 June payment in Manager is not “paid” yet as that only happens when we import the Bank Statement for June or sometimes when paid in July even later. As it currently presents it gives the false impression by colour that payment was made for June and thus would show on the P&L side but this would only be true of payment was properly recorded against the payslip which it hasn’t. So would there be a way for you to better link the P&L to the Payslip and show those that are not cleared with red dates as they would be due or are overdue for payment simlar to Invoices. It would be also very useful if similar to Invoices that there qould be a “stamp” on the Payslip indicating Paid or Overdue similar to Invoices as well.

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 08.38.38

The date is in red because it’s in the future.

@Lubos that is what I concluded as well. However, it would be very useful if you consider treating it similar to Invoices with due dates and “stamps”.

Payslips are not paid the way invoices are. Payments of amounts owed to employees are posted to Employee clearing account and the employee’s subaccount, but not to a specific payslip. Other transactions might also have posted to Employee clearing account, making it impractical to associate payments only with payslips.

Manager also has no knowledge of, and there is no context surrounding, the notion of a payslip being “due” or “overdue” as you termed it. The payslip just posts a credit to Employee clearing account, with no relationship to any future date. In that sense, payroll accounting is like statement billing. That is, various debits and credits are applied to an employee’s subaccount, creating a balance owed or owing, but there is no further association with the discharging of any obligation.

Thank you. The issue is not about a payslip but about the payment a company has to do. I agree it is ore complicated in that there are many parts that may need to be paid and once paid enter into different accounts. However, I directed my message at @lubos as in essence payslips are not different from how Manager handles invoices and hence the request to look into this from a fresh perspective. I do not disagree with what you are saying is the current way things should be done, I asked to consider the developer to explore ways how this can be better.

Actually, your subject for this topic reported an error concerning payslips, not mentioning payments. And you associated what you perceived to be an error with a specific payslip not being “paid.” You explicitly referred to a payment being “properly recorded against the payslip.” You went on to discuss clearance of specific payslips and payslips being due or overdue.

Collectively, those comments suggested misunderstanding of how Manager’s payroll functions work and a belief that the program is malfunctioning, not a request to explore complete restructuring of the payroll functionality as you now claim.

If you want to suggest restructuring of the payroll features, please start a new topic with an appropriate subject. Justify your suggestion with a use case and explain why you think the present implementation has shortcomings. Personally, I do not think it reasonable to consider a payslip as being “paid” because an employee has been written a cheque. Multiple liabilities associated with deductions and contributions usually remain, so all company obligations are not satisfied by payment to the employee. Meanwhile, if employee advances or allowances must also be settled (some possibly on time-payment schedules), it is not very useful to consider a bunch of PAID stamps on payslips to be representative of an employee’s financial position vis-a-vis the business. The balance of Employee clearing account is much more informative. That is why, the more you think about various possibilities, the more sense the current implementation makes.

Why are you writing significantly future dated payslip?

• To fill in a payslip were there is any variability the time period covered by the payslip must have passed

• Regular payslips are better handled by using recurrent payslips. In the recurrent payslip all constant data can be pre entered (pay rates, pay types, base hours). The recurrent payslip then generates all the constant data in a timely fashion.

Please note that I did “not” report an error. The subject title says "Possible payslip error date colour because I was not sure if it was an error. I did not write that the program is malfunctioning so puzzled why this was stated.

@lubos only answered my question related to the date colours of the Payslip Payment and therefore in my answer to him I again suggested that:

as a response to the other part of my earlier question which is not a new topic but part of the deliberation:

@patch I am not sure if 31 July 2021 for July’s Payslip in our case is “…significantly future dated…” We reserve the Payroll payments that are due and the easiest way to get an overview is to create new Payslips at the start of each month even though we actually email the Payslip to the employee at the end of the month. We also take advantage of the importation of bank statements rather than using the New Payment button on the payslip. We assign the “Employee clearing account” payroll payment and add lines for Payslip contributions and deductions to the various accounts they belong to such as PAYE and Pension contributions. Not all Payslip such as some allowances are recurring and therefore we “Clone” and make the necessary adjustments.

I create a separated recurring payslip for each employee . It contains

• payslip items for all the line items that employee sometimes needs
  • pay rates specific for that employee
  • base hours specific for that employee
  • zero hours/amount for any variable component

When the actual hours are known (after the pay period) the recurring payslip creates the appropriate base payslip to which any period specific information can be added.

When an employees conditions change (eg pay rate, regular deductions) the recurrent payslip is updated to reflect this.

Doing so achieves the advantages of cloning but adds

• automated creation, prompted at the required date
  • regulated control of what is actually brought forwards

@Patch thank you for sharing your practice. However, it does not change my observation on the date colours to signal paid or still due.

The date changes colour to signal an entry atypical in most work flows so is brought to the users attention.

The same occurs if you enter a date prior to the businesses start date

In either case the entry may well be a valid and correct however in many cases it is a miss typed entry so is highlighted.

I wrote out the payslip workflow to illustrate work efficiencies inherent in Manager’s design. Doing so results in payslip creation as soon as period specific totals are known. As a result current but not future dated payslips are generated.

As an aside I would prefer if recurrent payslips could be generated at a user define offset from the period end to assist payroll work flow. However showing future date entries in red would still be a desirable design feature in my opinion.