Future Transactions

Dates are shown in red when they are in advance of todays date, like tomorrow or next week, next month.

Is this no longer an option?

I noticed that one of mine wasn’t red anymore.

Where in the program?

The date that shows on a bank account transactions.

Actually, its resolved. I’ve seen its red on the receipts and payments. Used to be red on bank accounts too.

Think about the logic of this. You may enter a receipt or payment and give it a future date. That is the date Manager will take it into account for your financial statements. But you have posted it to a bank account. Within a bank account register, a transaction is either pending or cleared, regardless of its transaction date. The date and status in the bank register have nothing to do with whether the transaction yet appears in your accounting.

If pending, it is listed under the Pending column, which by definition means that its status—in fact, its very existence—is unknown to the bank and will only be resolved in the future. Therefore, the concept of distinguishing future-dated transactions by changing their dates to red means nothing.

If cleared, the transaction is known to the bank and fully processed, regardless of the date you recorded for it in Manager. (Banks sometimes accept future-dated instruments in some locations. They do not hold transactions.) So again, distinguishing the transaction as having a future date is meaningless. In fact, displaying a bank transaction date in red because it is in the future could convey a false belief that a cleared transaction has not been processed when it actually has.

I have and most of your explanation is gobble goof.

Yes, and that date equally applies to both sides of the transaction, (debit/credit), being represented by the bank/cash account and the account allocation, but then you contradict yourself with this:

So how can the one transaction with the date “1/8/20” be both the date which “Manager will take it into account for your financial statements” and also be “nothing to do with whether the transaction yet appears in your accounting”.

The dated (1/8/20) transaction under both the Bank Register and the Receipts and Payments tabs aren’t two separate transactions, they are the identical transaction viewed from different tabs.

If that is the case, why does the Receipts & Payments tab use that very concept of RED for future dated transactions. if it means NOTHING.

In fact, you have confirmed the topics point, another of Manager’s inconsistencies. For the identical transaction it doesn’t use a red date (image 1) but it also does use a red date (image 2).
0000000 Bug 1 and 0000000 Bug 1a

A future dated transaction is that, a future dated transaction and it shouldn’t have mixed representation, red / not red, because of its listing location.

Perhaps you would like to clarify - where else should they have posted it ???

Perhaps in your very narrow perspective, however take a User who has pre-entered all their Direct Debits for the next period of time. That is not meaningless to them as they have prepared for those transactions to occur. Entering a transaction as a future date or entering the transaction on the actual date doesn’t change the meaningfulness of the transaction.

Furthermore @Tut, once again you have introduced an irrelevant red herring into a topic, “pending and cleared status”, and have distracted the topic with self fulfilling useless banter.

For example, if the User in post #3 had responded with “cash account transactions” instead of “bank account transactions” then their topic’s point about red / no red dates would remain completely valid.
0000000 Bug 2 and 0000000 Bug 2a

However, your tirade about “pending and cleared status” would have then been completely irrelevant, not valid, as cash transactions don’t have “pending and cleared status”.

In closing @Tut, you regularly discipline Users for using terminology in their forum posts which is not in Manager. In this topic you have used the expression “bank register” yet I can’t find that term being used anywhere within the accounting software.

1 Like

Because you failed to read—or purposely left out—an important part of what I wrote: “The date and status in the bank register…” [emphasis added]. In other words, Manager takes a transaction into account—that is, debits or credits it to an account in the chart of accounts—or ignores it based on the transaction date entered, not any parameter in the bank register. The program will consider a bank deposit, for example, as long as its transaction date has arrived, regardless of whether its status in the register is pending or cleared and regardless of the clearance date or absence of a clearance date.

It is not irrelevant. Pending or cleared status provides the context for understanding the differences between displays in the two tabs.

No, it would not. A future dated receipt or payment in a cash account would show a red date in the Receipts & Payments tab, just like a bank account. But, also like in a bank account, no dates in cash account drill-downs show in red. Since all cash account transactions are presumed to be cleared instantly, distinguishing future transactions in a cash account would be equally meaningless. Even though a transaction might be dated in the future, the cashbox or till itself will instantly reflect the deposit or withdrawal. And its balance in the Cash Accounts tab will include the future-dated transaction.

Now, if you want to complain about that inconsistency, I would support you. That inconsistency is created by the fact that Manager will accept future-dated transactions. I don’t personally believe it should. I think it is poor accounting practice to anticipate events.

@Tut, I wish you would actually take the time to read and understand a User’s post before being a keyboard warrior, then you wouldn’t be confirming, rejecting and contradicting yourself all at the same time.

Well actually, I didn’t purposely leave out anything if you re-read the post, re-posted below

However, for your benefit I will re-write my response including the words you are delicate about and you will note that it doesn’t change the context of my response:

So how can the one transaction with the date “1/8/20” be both "'the date Manager will take it into account for your financial statements” and also be “The date and status in the bank register have nothing to do with whether the transaction yet appears in your accounting”.

The context being your conflict in position with (1) “will take it into account” and (2) “have nothing to do with” with regards to the date of the transaction.

Whole heartily agree, but I want you to take special note of your words “regardless of whether its status in the register is pending or cleared”. That is, it’s all about the “date” of the transaction (the subject of this topic) and not about your previously introduced distracting “status” of the transaction.

However, you go on to contradict this - the ignoring of the transaction “status” - with this:

In terms of this topic it is irrelevant, as this topic is all about the date colour of future dated between the two tabs and by your own submission, “regardless”, you have confirmed that the “status” of the transaction is not relevant to the displaying of the transaction date.

Furthermore, your use of the word “regardless”, meaning that the “status” of the transaction is not relevant confirms why it’s was originally stated that "once again you have introduced an irrelevant red herring into a topic.

I have absolutely no idea what inconsistency you are referring to as both the bank and cash accounts / tabs function identically in all regards as you have described.

1. Receipts & Payment tab - future dates shown in red.
  2. Account drill downs don’t show dates in red.
  3. Future dated transactions are reflected instantly.
  4. Their balances include the future dated transaction.

Furthermore, I have no issue with points 3 & 4 occurring, that is, Manager accepting and reflecting future dated transaction as that is part of management data which then becomes part of the financial accounts as the dates pass.

Then you are in conflict with various accounting standards where anticipated events are required to be taken up as part of the full disclosure requirements - such as the anticipated liabilities of future lease obligations.