PDF & Email wont work on my Mac

Hi,

The email feature was not working on my Macbook so I upgraded the version to Manager 16.12.36.

After the upgrade it wont work either so this time I upgraded the OS version as well to Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.2 and i have no luck after doing this as well.

Tried reading several similar posts on forum but i did not get any help as my OS and manager both are up to date.

PDF ERROR : 
DocumentSaveException: Apitron.PDF.Kit.ErrorHandling.DocumentSaveException: Exception of type 'Apitron.PDF.Kit.ErrorHandling.DocumentSaveException' was thrown.
  at Apitron.PDF.Kit.FlowDocument.Write (System.IO.Stream outputStream, Apitron.PDF.Kit.FixedLayout.Resources.ResourceManager resourceManager, Apitron.PDF.Kit.FixedLayout.PageProperties.PageBoundary boundary, Apitron.PDF.Kit.PdfStandard pdfStandard) [0x0008c] in <1b91d64fe32d4a908cba0c83c18fae00>:0 
  at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.ConvertHtmlToPdf (System.String input, System.IO.Stream output, Apitron.PDF.Kit.FixedLayout.PageProperties.PageBoundary pageBoundary) [0x005d1] in <60361f9e93fd47589a6aed0886da3681>:0 
  at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Pdf.Post () [0x0015b] in <60361f9e93fd47589a6aed0886da3681>:0 

Email Error : 
DocumentSaveException: Exception of type 'Apitron.PDF.Kit.ErrorHandling.DocumentSaveException' was thrown.

Please Help
Yash

This usually happens when PDF document contains some unusual character. For some reason, the PDF generator will choke on Mac OS X. Doesn’t happen on Linux or Windows. There will be fix for this issue soon.

As a workaround, you can use Print button to generate your PDF document for the time being.

Hi lubos, my version on Manager is also not printing, PDF or emailing. When I try to print a PDF through my printer software the entire program quits. Below is the popup from trying to create a PDF using Manager.
I am running a macbook pro with El Capitan 10.11.16

NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.ConvertHtmlToPdf (System.String input, System.IO.Stream output, Apitron.PDF.Kit.FixedLayout.PageProperties.PageBoundary pageBoundary) [0x0019f] in :0
at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Pdf.Post () [0x0015b] in :0

First, make sure your software is up to date. See the Guide:

https://forum.manager.io/t/installing-or-updating-desktop-edition-on-macos/7116

Next, clarify what you mean by “print a PDF through my printer software.” Do you mean you generated a PDF with the PDF button in Manager and then tried to print that PDF? Or do you mean you selected Print in Manager and then selected Save as PDF in the macOS print dialog box?

Also, did you make any adjustments in the print dialog box, such as attempting to scale to anything except the default 100% size?

Hi again, thanks for your email. The software was downloaded 2 days ago so I’m sure it’s the latest. Making a PDF using my printer was a suggestion last Dec 2016 made by lubos responding to someone else similar problem. The mail problem is that I cannot Print, make a PDF or email from inside Manager using your buttons and the software has started to quit for no apparent reason. Re sizing, default settings are used, I have changed nothing. I am using the desktop version

Hi again, I have just realised the problem only occurs when trying to export an invoice, I just successfully exported a report as a PDF but trying to export an invoice does make the software quit.

@tony16, you must be more specific. “Exporting” in Manager refers to clicking the Export button at the bottom right of many reports and registers. This produces a TSV file of the data onscreen. It has nothing to do with PDFs. Sales invoices cannot be exported because the button does not appear. So you must be referring to something else.

You also cannot perform the action you mentioned of “making a PDF using my printer.” Nor would @lubos have suggested that, because it cannot be done. You can generate a PDF within Manager and print it in a separate action. You can print directly from Manager and, using features of macOS (independent of Manager), choose to save the form as a PDF file. Emailing from within Manager makes use of the internal PDF generator, but doesn’t show you the resulting PDF.

So, to get help, please describe exactly the steps you are taking that lead to a program crash or other problem. You have, in fact, mentioned various things that suggest you have more than one problem. But you have not provided enough information to know.

Sorry about the wrong terminology, When I try to make a PDF from an invoice that has already been updated and saved, Manager gives me this popup message .

NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.ConvertHtmlToPdf (System.String input, System.IO.Stream output, Apitron.PDF.Kit.FixedLayout.PageProperties.PageBoundary pageBoundary) [0x0019f] in :0
at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Pdf.Post () [0x0015b] in :0

When I try to email the invoice I get this message.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

When I use the Print icon within Manager and then try to save a PDF using my printer software, Manager quits completely.

At the moment there is no way of creating a PDF from an invoice, as I mentioned above I was able to create a PDF from a within the reports menu but nothing from an invoice

I think they meant they could select a PDF creator in lieu of selecting an actual printer from within the printer dialog - so a PDF file is created instead of a hard copy

Hi Tut thanks for your comments but the problem still remains that at present there is no way I can create a PDF from an invoice or use the email function

It works a little differently on a Mac, @Brucanna, because it’s built into the operating system instead of relying on separate PDF generators like Windows. But @tony16’s message was posted at almost the same time as yours, and he’s answered my question. It turns out he gets different results doing it either way I asked about and a third when emailing.

So, @tony16, getting back to your problem, if you’ve searched the forum at all or read the previous messages in this same topic, you will have read that apparently some characters cause problems on Macs when generating PDFs, which both the PDF button and email function do. But I haven’t heard about anyone having problems using the Print button and generating a PDF from the macOS print dialog box.

So a few more questions/ideas, which could be helpful running down this problem for the general user community:

1. What is your base currency set to, if you are using one?
  2. Are you using any other currencies? If not, try deleting your base currency (if one is set) and see what happens.
  3. If you are using multiple currencies, try changing them to something more standard. (This can easily be undone with no impact on your data.) See what happens.
  4. What are your language, date, and number preferences set to? Try temporarily resetting them one at a time to English (US), MM/DD/YYYY, and 123,456,789.00. I suggest this because those are the settings I use and I have never experienced the NullReferenceException you and others describe. Checking these things one at a time may turn up something useful.
  5. Do the customers, suppliers, or addresses on invoices that give trouble include anything besides the most standard characters?
  6. Do the problems occur on forms other than sales invoices? You mentioned reports, but how about quotes, purchase invoices, payments, receipts, etc?
  7. Try deleting your logo, if you are using one. Over-large (meaning high resolution) logo files can cause problems.
  8. Try different themes.

Thanks for all that, i will work my way through your suggestions and get back to you in time.

Thanks again

I should have mentioned, it may be less stressful to play these games with a test company rather than your actual accounts. You can have as many as you want and remove them later. The point is trying to figure out, either by process of elimination or by gradual addition, what causes the problems. I’ve been using Manager on a Mac for more than three years and cannot figure out how to reproduce this behavior.

Thanks again for all your help

Hi all to follow up on this problem, I still cannot PDF, email or even create a PDF from the print menu, as soon as I click on a button the software completely quits. I have downloaded another version, same problem. Ihave follow the previous suggestions but no luck. The software looks nice just a sham I can’t use it.