Payment of Purchase Invoice in previous FY marked Unpaid Overdue

I’ve just started using Manager recently and have been learning by entering data in from previous months activities.
I’ve just run into an interesting issue which may be a bug, though I don’t want to be so assertive whilst still being new to Manager so will leave the category decision to a moderator.

I’ll describe the situation in the context of one purchase invoice and one corresponding payment, however I’ve found the issue with both of the two pairs of these that I’ve been testing (one for an AUD supplier, one for a USD supplier).

I’ve created an invoice from a supplier, dated in May (i.e. within the previous financial year in Australia). The issue arises when I make payment of that invoice. For the record, I’m using the method recommended for payments against purchase invoices (from Record a payment | Manager).

If I set the date of the payment to a date in this financial year (i.e. 1st July 2020 or later) then the Status of the invoice is marked “Paid In Full” and the Balance Due brought to $0. This would be bad practice, and lead to various accounting issues, as the payment was actually reconciled a few days after the invoice date. If I set the date for the payment to the correct date, however, the Balance Due remains equal to the Invoice Total and the Status is marked “XX days overdue”.

The reason I suspect this is a bug is that in editing the date of the corresponding payment entry in Receipts & Payments (after creating it as per the above link) I can trigger the issue by changing the date back and forth. i.e. set it to 30th June = Overdue, set it to 1st July = Paid in Full. Please correct me if I’m wrong e.g. if something isn’t configured correctly!

I’m using Manager Desktop v20.8.23

It looks like you have set a start date and are changing the payment date back and forth from before to after the start date. Manager ignores transactions before the start date except (in your example) to establish the starting balance of Accounts payable. Read Set start date | Manager.

Start dates are not used to begin new accounting periods. Manager is a perpetual system. Read Close an accounting period | Manager.

1 Like

Thanks, Tut. 100% Correct.
I had set the start date as 1st July 2020 as, at the time, I wasn’t planning on going back to fill in everything from operations in the previous financial year/s. Didn’t think about this when putting in those two example invoices/payments, but it creating an issue absolutely makes sense.

The reason I was going to at least partially go into the previous financial year was for inventory purposes (a stocktake of sorts) to ensure levels match to the current. Looking into it more now I can see the fields appeared for Starting Balance within the individual Inventory Items (they weren’t there originally as I set the start date after having already created the inventory items). I understand those starting balance fields are the correct way to set Qty’s as they were at the Start Date.

Thanks again!
Feel free to file this under PEBKAC :grin:

Depending on when you set this up, the entire starting balance scheme may also have changed. The scheme now described in the Guides went into effect in the last week. Prior to that, the starting balance fields did not appear under the individual inventory items, but in a separate page with drill-downs in the Settings tab.

The vast majority of what I’ve been doing has been in the last few days. Whilst I did initially create the business file a year ago, I ran out of time to delve in enough to learn, so for all intents and purposes I only very recently “started”. What I’ve seen in the guides all seems accurate to this version so far, though I’ll note that neither ‘Create and Manage Inventory Items’ (Create and manage inventory items | Manager) nor ‘Enter Starting Balances’ (Enter starting balances | Manager) specifically mention starting balances for inventory items.
Even so, the current method of having them settable within the individual inventory items does seem much more intuitive than the old method you described!

There is a Guide covering inventory, too: Set starting balances for inventory items | Manager.

1 Like