Non-inventory items available for selection on wrong transaction forms

When non-inventory items are set up as only being able to be sold or purchased, they are still visible in the Item dropdown menu for transactions of the other category and can be selected. This bug occurs across all transaction types: quotes, orders, invoices, receipts, payments, etc.

Further, if there was a sales or purchase price previously entered and the sale or purchase option is deselected without deleting that price first, the price will automatically populate on sale or purchase transaction forms when the item is incorrectly selected.

Resulting transactions are thrown to Suspense, but can still be created.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that I made it so visibility of non-inventory items can controlled per transaction type. Now I’m realizing this was wrong. In the latest version (21.4.78) I have removed the checkboxes to control visibility per transaction type and need to think this through further.

For example, we do not have such a thing on inventory items. All inventory items are visible in both sales and purchase transactions.

Yeah, I was thinking about whether there was any reason for the limitation. I could not think of one. The new implementation makes sense. And I like how it will throw the transaction into Suspense if you try to do something you haven’t defined the item for. Some users may get surprised, but it will also help avoid potential mistakes.

@Lubos as already mentioned in the discussion on Navigation I indicated not understanding why Inventory items nicely display in a Tab and Non-Inventory Items only in settings. Ideally, both are treated the same. It also would make sense for each to have identical forms to complete. Then consider for each item:

• if assigned an income account it should appear in Receipts and Sales Quotes, -Orders, and -Invoices.
  • if assigned an expense account it should appear in Payments and Purchase Quotes, -Orders, and -Invoices.
  • if assigned both an income and an expense account then they should appear in all.

I totally agree with this post, I do not have
much inventory stock, its all non,
so its a pain to go to settings all the time rather than using the tab