It would be awesome if we could type directly into a custom field

It would be awesome if we could type directly into a custom field directly on the screen for example I have a custom field in the sales invoice called “to do” it is a drop down with “yes” and “done” . The case is
I invoice a person and the custom field is set to “yes” as I have not filed work yet. Then when I have filed the work I would like to go back into the sales invoice screen and in the column “To do” and change it from "Yes to “done” with out opening the invoice .
here is an example of my invoice screen at the moment I have to open each invoice and change to “done” but if we could change it on the below screen that would be awesome

I agree that this would be an excellent feature to have, for any field - custom or otherwise.

However, this is the type of change to a web app that looks simple on the outside, but likely needs significant development work to support. If it were to be supported in the future, I don’t think it will be any time soon.

Perhaps I am missing something here, but I am already doing this. I have a custom field in an invoice that I type the number of hours worked on a project. It’s just a box that I type into. Do you require something more ellaborate?

1 Like

You’re right :grin:

The guys are discussing inline edit of tab tables without having to press Edit and go to the edit form.

It’s a nice feature to have in some situations, but I really don’t like having the table in a constant editable state. That seems like a recipe for mistakes.

Maybe if you can switch the entire view between the editable and locked states using a button with well though access rights.

1 Like

They are specifically requesting that this be possible from the list view.

That way several records can be updated without changing the page. At the moment, you are clicking on Edit, then entering the number of hours worked? This is what the OP wishes to avoid.

Maybe just for custom fields that you set to show as a column and can also tick to make editable

The functionality described here is very similar to batch update except the editing is done in a spreadsheet

Except I could be only doing it to one Invoice
so if you look at my 1st picture when I have completed the paid work I have to go in and open the invoice in edit and in my custom drop down field(To Do) I change from yes to Done . I would Sometimes be doing this with one invoice or if I am good and finish the work quick enough 2 or 3 .
It would be way quicker if I could from the Sales Invoices screen just use my custom drop down field(To Do) to change it . Basically I am say could we make custom fields editable from the Sales Invoices screen.

If changing just a couple of invoices at a time, then clicking edit (possibly in a new tab) is better in my opinion. Because if table edit was added, it would need to be protected from inadvertent changes by a similar number of clicks.

Not table edit just custom field like when we create it we can tick to add it to a column we can tick if we want it on printed doc so why not tick if we want to be able to edit it

Because that is a table edit. That is, you are editing the table. And that is a lot more complex for two reasons:

• The table is already the result of a bunch of processing to display certain information from individual transaction forms. In other words, it is not a record stored in the database, but is created on the fly every time you view it.
  • The program would still need to edit the record of any transaction where you edited the custom field.

There is a tendency to think of lists in Manager as being like spreadsheets, where you can edit a single cell. They are definitely not like that.

1 Like

Yes you are correct @Tut , I was just dreaming in the first place there is way more important things to do with manager than that

Again, as I mentioned, that is quite technically difficult.

I agree with you it’d be nice to have. Just trying to say not to get your hopes up :slight_smile:

^ Definitely agree, for a non-technical user this may look like it would be simple, but it’s not.