Ireland

before I dig deep with specifics, I would want to emphasize that the localization is still in the beta phase when we consider requirements of every country.

advanced users can easily grasp how things work but I do not think it would be easier for others. that being said, no one would need to create new tax codes once the localizations are fully implemented. so i guess this is a necessary change for the better.

until something is developed to set which tax codes are selectable on which transaction forms, users will be bombarded with a confusing list of tax codes. the developer is aware of the issue and some tweaks can be expected in the near future.

also, there are improvements which needs to be further improved based on different localization requirements. one such improvement needed is explained here.

users would be willing to have separate records when the taxation requirements change but I do not think they would want separate records because of changes to the program. it raises doubts about the program being a perpetual system. the program is not expected to produce scattered reports based on the time of new feature additions. merging existing tax codes was suggested here which would enable compatibility of old transactions with the new localization features.

@lubos i would also suggest to have a reference log and instructions for every localization when the localization moves to the stable phase. this would help users understand how to use the localization features and to modify them when the requirements change. also, dependency on users who created the localizations initially would be reduced when tax regulations change in the future.

In the script I used the function reverseSign to reverse the sign of the value displayed

Is there a function available to print the number if it is positive only?

For example max(0, -10) would print 0, max(0,5) would print 5

If so I could use it to populate the two fields T3 (tax due) and T4 (Refund due) on my VAT 3 report

In Australia the annual tax return requires separating a businesses income into may sub categories. In practice this is done mostly by the chart account structure. For small businesses the businesses accountant extracts this information from the businesses accounting records each year. The categories are evolving and may accounting software users entering a line item in an invoice would not know what they are. So while information for the annual tax return could be encoded in tax codes, that’s not how I have seen it done. And doing so would result in a very complicated tax code system.

In Ireland do most accounting system encode information for this annual report in tax codes entered by users on each line item of an invoice. Or is another system used.

@sharpdrivetek same question applies India.

I can’t say for most accounting packages, sorry but Sage Accounts have around 60 tax codes to provide the Irish Vat reports.

A businesses tax reports are different and are generally produced from the chart of accounts. There is no defined set of accounts here, unlike some European countries. Each business will design it’s own chart based on their own reporting requirements and the need to submit official accounts

VAT reports are completely separate from your annual accounts

Is this solved yet?

Yes, the reverse charge tax codes capture the deemed tax

What about the taxable amount, it’s still negative when it’s added with outputs.

Positive tax liability means you owe the VAT
Negative means you are due a refund

Hey Joe, check this out. I tried to explain my case to the best of my abilities:

https://forum.manager.io/t/bahrain/37903/25?u=ealfardan

Our VAT 3 report has two fields
T3 = VAT Payable
T4 = VAT Repayable

In all cases one of them is zero, and the other is the value of the tax to be paid or repaid

So the absolute value of the Tax Liability field in Manager is the value that should appear in one but one one of them. It is not possible to do this currently as the value of the Tax Liability field is a +ve or -ve depending on whether tax is payable or repayable

I envy your simple tax return form :slightly_smiling_face:

@Joe91 I’ve added extra script to handle renaming if VAT payable is negative.

Or we could show both rows and figure would be only in one. I’m not sure what is preferred.

We need to show both so either

T3 9999
T4 0

Or

T3 0
T4 9999

OK done. Check now.

1 Like

That works :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed tax codes really need custom label. Consider this:

There is new Label field on tax code forms to solve this.

This will allow you to supply display name for tax codes on printed documents.

So for example, 21% Sales tax code would be tax code name in backend but VAT 21% would be what’s actually on printed documents.

Example:

Do you agree?

yes, yes and yes. it works perfectly for our govt requirements. and I am sure it would be the same for others.
anyone curious to know how this changes the presentation can check the below post.

I have used a single rate for 13.5% tax code and a multiple rate for 23% tax code

The labels of the tax on a sales invoice are treated differently. The labels in the totals should be the same as the labels used on the lines, I think instead of using the tax code itself

Tax codes 13.5% Sales and 23% Sales

Sales invoice - edt screen

Sales Invoice - view screen

this would not be suitable in cases like ours where we need to consolidate the total tax amounts.
but I agree that the Totals should display data in the Label field when tax codes are defined as Single rate.

I have noticed that as well and I totally agree. But turns out there’s a use case for having them different like @sharpdrivetek just pointed out.

I think I’ll modify my list of tax jurisdictions to avoid to include:

• USA
  • Saudi Arabia
  • India

:grin:

1 Like