Ireland

I see what you mean now. There is still one missing piece to capture not the tax amount but reversed tax amount on reverse charge tax codes.

Only for the “deemed” supply figures

Also, Ideally the figures on this report should be positive - I suppose I could use the scripts for that :frowning:

These are the inward net purchases

Reversing sign on figures is the easy part but your current issue cannot be solved by reversing sign. Working on that.

Also, as for tax code naming. When using your tax codes on invoices, you get these subtotals. I don’t think that’s right. Shouldn’t it say VAT 9% instead of 9% Sales ?

You can configure 9% Sales tax code like this:

This will show VAT 9% on printed invoices but 9% Sales on forms.

I have multiple VAT codes for each VAT rate - one for sales/supplies and 4 for purchases as I have to distinguish between Irish purchases and EU purchases and between purchases of goods for resale and other purchases (2 x 2 = 4)

So I cannot just use 1 rate abd, yes, I can rename them as you suggest. But the user has to be able to select the correct code

I was using the longer name to identify the code during testing

Sorry, off to bed here - back tomorrow :slight_smile:

Cool,
Looks like tax reports including the tax authority specified rounding will be possible. Might have a go at this after the dust settles. (Imo an accounting program has to calculate the correct amount not an approximation).

For some features it is likely to be the only practical solution. But for simple arithmetic on displayed report cell values you have a point. I suspect it would be a barrier to entry too high for many report transformation contributors.

In my opinion a nicer solution would be spreadsheet style interface where clicking on a spreadsheet cell shows a “formula bar” panel with fields to

• Name the cell
  • Define the cell contents (database lookup information) or
  • Arithmetic function of other cells (by name) in the report transformation
  • Format the displayed value (rounding options)

Described in more detail here Localisation Rounding support, however I can’t see that happening now. So it looks like learning Manager’s implementation of html is the only way.

1 Like

@Joe91 I can see you have completed those report transformations. Which figures on these reports should be negated? I will write script to handle that.

VAT3 Report
The figures highlighted should be shown as positive values

The figures are usually reported rounded ie to nearest euro but this doesn’t really matter

The Net Figure due (19,408.58) is the Net Liability - there are two fields for this: one when it is positive ie a refund is due and a second field when it is negaitive ie tax is owed but I wouldn’t be too worried if we show it as +ve or -ve

RTD Report
All of the highlighted figures should be positive - they represent the Net Purchases of the different Vat Rates by category (EU Reverse Charge, Purchases of goods for Resale, Other Purchases)

The figures are usually reported rounded to nearest euro, but that doesn’t really matter

I haven’t finished creating the Tax Reporting Categories for EU Acquisitions / Reverse Charge for rates other than 23%

Postponed Accounting
As a further complication, BREXIT means that the UK, or at least most of it (Northern Ireland is part of the UK but is treated as if it still in the EU for VAT purposes), is now outside the EU so purchases from the UK are treated as purchases from the Rest of the World or 3rd countries.

As such, VAT is due on importation whereas VAT on imports from other EU is dealt with under the reverse charge scheme.

As the UK (or the part of the UK that isn’t Northern Ireland) is a major supplier to Irish companies, this poses a major cashflow problem for importers as VAT is now due on import and has to be paid immediately.

To offset this, a new postponed VAT scheme is in operation which treats imports from the UK as if they are EU imports and so delays the payment of VAT until the goods are sold and the Output VAT collected.

I haven’t even started trying to work out how to cater for this - the VAT3 and RTD reports have fields to report the information necessary to administer this

VAT3 Report
This is also meant to show the acquisition and supply of Intra-EU goods and services

Currently I do not distinguish between EU Goods & Services so I will have to create further tax codes for this

God help the poor users - they will have to choose between a myriad of EU tax codes

@Joe91 I’m getting to the point where updates in localizations will automatically flow to the latest version of Manager. Doing more reviews, I’ve noticed these tax codes are not used in report transformations in any way.

• 4.8% Purchases EU for resale
  • 0% Purchases EU Other
  • 5.4% Purchases EU for resale
  • Exempt Purchases EU other
  • 13.5% Purchases EU for resale
  • 21% Purchases EU other
  • 4.8% Purchases EU other
  • 0% Purchases EU for resale
  • 21% Purchases EU for resale
  • 5.4% Purchases EU Other
  • Exempt Purchases EU for resale

Sorry, I was concentrating on the structure required using the 23%, 0% and reverse charge codes.

All the rates will have to have the same extra tax codes as the 23%

It will be a nightmare to get it 100% correct.

I think I have now created the tax codes, reporting categories that are needed

I still have to get the signs on the two reports reversed - I hope to get that done tomorrow

Can you check that all the tax codes are used somewhere, anywhere - thanks

I have reversed all the signs as required

Do I need to delete all the test transactions - maybe I will make a backup before doing that

I can also delete the accounts as there is no standard set of accounts in use in Ireland

No @Joe91 you don’t have to delete any transaction as manager will pick just only req things

1 Like

Great

I don’t have time to look into the implications of the postponed VAT accounting which was brought in to deal with Brexit - I think it will require a completely new set of tax codes - I could get into an arms race with India

I could try simpllfying the names of the tax codes but that will make it difficult to select the correct one

:rofl:
hope future improvements to the program can simplify things a bit more. will have to wait and see.

You using Manager’s current tax code model to describe Ireland taxation system is extremely valuable.

Now you have done it, how does it compare with the old method? Is it much better to use? What about maintainability, is extending it to accommodate new taxation requirements and simultaneously maintain old reports some thing you would not mind being involved in?

@sharpdrivetek the same questions apply to your input in India’s taxation system representation using Manager tax code system.

I only used Manager in a very simple business with 2 vat codes, no imports, no exports so it was extremely easy to setup and the Tax Summary report was sufficient to collect the info needed for the official Vat reports - I only needed them on an annual basis

The government here has a tendency to react to noises from business players by introducing new tax codes, some temporary, some not which favour particular sectors of the economy. Of course, once this is done once, other sectors then clamour for the same treatment and another 'temporary’tax code or rule is introduced.

All of this complicates the accounting and reporting considerably and introduces extra costs but that tends to get forgotten about.

I have now setup 51 taxcodes or about 7 per tax rate to facilitate reporting.