Installation of Server Edition on sinology

Which model of Synology do you have?

I have the Synology DS214+, with cpu ‘MARVELL Armada XP MV78230’.
I have seen new model (for example DS718+) can do much more, also virtual machine and docker, but for now unfortunately to expansive.

Do you know you can do a much cheeper machine with xpenology?

Davide, thank you for your response. My current 214+ has not yet been written off. The 718+ can also solve other problems for me. I am now a starting new company and have to pay attention on the money. Possibly over 1 or 2 years it is feasible. So I will have to wait for a moment

Good luck forma everything. If you need some help or suggestions I’m here

Thanks

Hi Could someone give me some help on installing Manager on DSM? My DSM version does not allow Docker installation. I have installed Mono but do not know how to open it. I have gone as far as installing Mono only. I do not know how to type in the command in the terminal. Where’s the terminal?

Please help. Thanks!

How to access your Synology read (for example):
http://www.ingmarverheij.com/how-to-enable-terminal-access-to-synology-nas/

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the tutorial doesn’t seems to have the same interface as the latest DSM. I have activated the service but terminal access is still not available.

You have to use, some ting like putty;

http://www.putty.org
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

my advice, if you are not familiar with this environment, ask for assistance in your immediate environment.

Hello,

How did you manage to run the service? My diskstation doesn’t support Dockers, so I need to do it manually. I start the service with:
exec /usr/bin/mono ManagerServer.exe -port 8081 >>/dev/null 2>&1 &
As a reply I get:
[1] 11207

When going trying to login (http://my.ip.address:8081) I get Failed to open page…

Any ideas? Firewall is off…

Thanks,

Bart

Make sure that you are using the IP Address of the Syno’, not the IP Address of your client computer (ie not ‘myipaddress:8081’)

I would like to add suggestion, alternative ssh client, would be ‘Bitvise’ SSH Client. And you may do built custom pc for server with Open Media Vault (OMV) as your os OMV is updateable (however need to back up first). Lightweight and have docker plugin.

Thanks for your reply @xero50, but I already was using the IP of my DS.

I found out a couple of more things:

• I had no permission at the location of the file → Fixed
  • The latest version of Manager doesn’t run on my DSM (DS413j, DSM 6.2-23739): It has problems with the 64-Bit usage of sqlite → Fixed by downloading an old version of Manager.

Now this:

• I would like to run 7 instances. But as soon as I fire up the 6-th instance, the last started instance is stopped. Is the Mono service limited to 5 instances? Or is this a limitation somewhere else?
  • I can’t get it to start on boot. Tried the /etc/rc.local and Upstart method, but no luck. For the Upstart method the 'symlink" action did not succeed. Any ideas? Do I just need to create this file? What does it do?
    ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/etc/init.d/manager’: No such file or directory

What command were you trying to run when you received that complaint ?
It possibly indicates that you were attempting to link to an init script that either does not exist or if it does exist is located elsewhere.

What advantage do you wish to gain by doing that ?

This is probably not a recommended or advisable way forward, particularly if this is a production system and is something upon which a business will be reliant and will almost certainly give problems in the future. (On the other hand, personally speaking I do admire an experiment responsible or otherwise).

Unless you had a previous download stored on your old system, you downloaded from an unauthorized, third-party site. These are notorious for corrupted versions of the program. There is no official, authorized source for older versions of Manager.

The error occurred when trying to symlink it, as you suggested in one of the posts above:
symlink it to the /etc/init.d folder

sudo ln -s /etc/init/manager.conf /etc/init.d/manager

I would like to run 7 instances so everybody has their own set of companies and I don’t have to add or remove them. All family, it is not that I run an accountant agency or so :slight_smile:

The old version I found here somewhere on the forum in a post from @lubos, therefore it seemed valid to me.

This all now works on my Snow Leopard Server, but that one is getting a bit old and often when someone has been using manager, the process becomes an CPU hog, consuming all the resources of the server: email and websites almost don’t react anymore. Therefore I though moving manager to another machine which I already have seems a good idea to me.

Sorry for not posting here earlier, I don’t frequent these forums anywhere near as much as I use too.

Unfortunately I do not know the sydnology version of linux well enough to be be satisfied that it’s safe and well. I ended up removing it and installing a virtual machine of ubuntu (which I have a better understanding of) and installed manager as per the guidelines in there.

I have had it running there for the last 12-18 months without any issue. I log in and update the OS from time to time as well as the manager service and I just leave it to it’s merry way.

The install pretty much is just per the guidelines on a clean ubuntu install. I’m happy to help out if anyone wants any more info, and I’ll try and pay attention to emails next time something comes in :wink: