Information about attachments

I started to use Manager from few time, I attached few files and the file dimension increased a lot.
I checked the global dimension of my accounting docs of the past years, they are about 100MB per year.
So, I ask you, if the next year I will attach all my accounting docs (100MB), the dimension of the Manager files will be about 100MB?
If yes, what does this increase mean? The software will slow? Will I have troubles?
For now I attached the files 2 times, in the invoice (delivery note, orders…) and in the related transaction, is there the way to link the transaction to the related doc (e.g. invoice)?

You shouldn’t have any issues. It will just mean that your regular backups (which you are doing, I hope! :smiley:) will take up more space since they are a larger file size.

There is no way to do this manually. But it might be worth testing – Manager might do this already, automatically.

If you make a backup of your business and load the same large file into it multiple times, how much does the size increase by? Manager would just need to compare the hash of the file and it would be enough information to ensure that only one copy of a given file is ever stored.

This statement is not clear. Are you attaching your own sales invoices to your own sales orders, as an example? Or your own delivery notes to your own sales invoices?

I receive an invoice from my supplier, report the invoice in purchase invoices and attach the original file. When I pay this invoice I also attach the original invoice in the related transaction.
In this way, when I check all transactions I can see the transaction and the motive of this.

With this, in the local storage, the file will be stored 2 times? right?

this is ok since it is a document received from a third party.

personally i feel this is unnecessary. you can just select the correct invoice number when making the payment transaction.

It will be “attached” two times. But as @ShaneAU already mentioned, I do not know if Manager recognizes that the files are identical and stores only one copy. I doubt it, because it has no way to know if the two attachments are different versions of the same file

I agree with @sharpdrivetek that it is unnecessary. I understand your desire to attache your supplier’s sales invoice to your purchase invoice. But, from an accounting perspective, when you pay against your own purchase invoice, you are discharging the liability in your own Accounts payable account, not the supplier’s invoice. And your own record is already in Manager. Your transaction description can mention the supplier’s sales invoice if you want, as should your purchase invoice. So the information will be easily recoverable without the need to store it twice.

Yes I know, it’s not necessary, it’s my fixation.
See the transaction and also the details of it: description, the goods, date…
So attaching the original invoice I can do this, and not only see the invoice number.

Manager it’s my first accounting software, before I used a spreasheet file and I inserted all the related documents in one line: invoice > related goods receipt > related order.
Maybe I will be able to do without, I have to get used to changement.

I think you will find that one of the main benefits of dedicated accounting software is that everything is where it should be. The need for multiple forms of information diminishes. The important thing is to be sure you are making regular backups on a different drive, cloud storage, or something similar.

I removed the duplicate files, but the dimension of the business file don’t decrease.

That’s because the database has been sized and now has empty content. If you create a backup of it, you should see that the size of the backup is smaller, because a VACUUM command will have been executed. What you should see with your primary data file is that new transactions do not increase its size until you get past the size it was before you deleted duplicate transactions.

Yep, as @Tut mentioned – it increases size, but will not decrease in size until you do a backup. The backup file is optimised, and therefore shrunk down to the minimum required.

So you can reduce file size after deleting a large file by:

1. Backing up the business – e.g. ABC Co
  2. Restoring from the backup – e.g. ABC Co (2017-11-13)
  3. Deleting the original business – i.e. ABC Co
  4. Renaming the backup – i.e. from ABC Co (2017-11-13) to simply ABC Co

understood, exactly what I made but the dimension is not decrease.
no problem now, the file is small (10MB), just to know how the attachments works.