If due date on invoice is not specified DON'T assume due date

If you are going to ‘assume’ the due date to be on the same date of the invoice - which is an incorrect assumption - please could we make sure that the ‘by’ tab allows you to insert a date when you are creating recurring sales invoices? I need the invoices to be due on the last working day of the month.

even if a ‘By’ tab is provided for the recurring sales invoices, how can you expect the set date to be the last working day every month?
also the dates do not come on the same day every month. in such a case if you have set a due date say 25th, and the recurring sales invoice is generated on say 26th, that is a credit for almost a month.

I was quite happy with having to capture the by date with every invoice. I saw the red warning that no due date had been set and i adjusted accordingly. Now the due today is assumed to be on the invoice date creation and there is no visual trigger to alert me of the accounting package having made amendments I didn’t ask for.

1. List item

What you can do is to set default due date being very high (e.g. 9999 days). This way you will always spot unusually high due date and can adjust as necessary (just like “No due date” before).

Because, quite frankly, this is an accounting package and not a work of fiction. Due date cannot simply randomly be inserted by the software on a whim.

It’s not ideal but No due date status was non-sense as there were a few places where due date (if it wasn’t entered) was assumed to be the same date as issue date.

Also having No due date status indicated it’s OK to have no due date and users were issuing invoices when they should have really issued quote or pro-forma invoice. Now that due date treatment is a bit different, it nudges certain users in the right direction (e.g. don’t issue invoice if the date of payment is “optional” and there is no due date - then it’s not an invoice).

As for my suggestion, I think it’s workable. If you don’t set due date manually, it will be some extraordinary high number which you will notice. Then you can fix it so the books are not work of fiction as you say.

1 Like

I think the due date defaulting to the issue date makes sense. Most invoices are assumed to be due on receipt if no due date is specified.

This is how almost all online services currently charge - the sending of the invoice is indicative of an amount being due immediately and having been already charged to your card.

However, I can see how an unexpected change in behaviour is jarring and potentially frustrating. Anyone not reading the forums often might not have known about this change until they noticed things acting in a way they didn’t expect.

1 Like

Pro forma invoices are not legal here and therefore not accepted. However, as I stated I had no problem selecting my due date (last day of the month) on each invoice. 30 days means 30 days from issue which will not work with my business.

This is not an online business and nothing is charged to any card. I am expecting payment within the first week of the month on all outstanding amounts (granted : this does not actually happen, but I am talking about the utoopian world where people actually pay their accounts). The words jarring and frustrating are really resonating with me right now!!!

I completely understand that not everyone can be happy all the time and you cannot make all kinds of allowances for what are probably a myriad type of businesses that are available - or for the thousands of laws that are applicable in every country of the world - but no due date was purely a way of generating an invoice the due date was entered manually upon creation to work with my particular set of accounts.

If an invoice is generated on the 29th then it becomes due on the last day of the month.
If it’s generated on the 2nd it still is due on the last day of the month.
In the one the credit is only for a day or two at the most, in the latter the credit is 28/29 days - it’s swings and roundabouts… but ALL invoices are due by the last day of the month they are issued in.

Then, as lubos suggested, set the default to 9999 days and it will be very clear which ones you haven’t changed to 30 days.

In this way, you can continue with your existing process.

1. Click the ‘set default’ link:
    07 am

2. Set the default as 9999 days:

3. This is what it looks like on the invoice view now, if you forget to change it to 30 days:
    38 am

Thanks.
Tomorrow I will have to sit and change all the recurring sales invoices already created to 9999.

Hmm … @lubos, just a thought. I just tested the recurring sales invoices.

If I leave the due date empty, and then go to Sales Invoices and click on this message …

“There is at least one recurring invoice pending to be issued Details

… the newly-generated invoice ends up with a due date of today.

Does it make sense for recurring invoices with a blank due date to respect the default value? Perhaps so. Currently this only applies to manually created sales invoices the normal way (i.e. not via recurring template).

Perhaps, for a recurring invoice:

• Manually set 0 “days after issue date”, to make due date = issue date, overriding any defaults.
  • If left blank, it should either respect the default setting or (in absence of a default setting), use the due date = issue date logic as it currently does.

I think this makes the most sense, and is the most consistent approach.

For @Sabrina_Moya_Cuerden, she would still need to set the default value to 9999 days in this case. Then, if she leaves the due date blank on the recurring templates, it would use the 9999 day default.

@Sabrina_Moya_Cuerden, I don’t understand your vociferous complaints about this change, which was necessary for proper functioning of the program. You say you were happy to manually put in the due date every time you created a recurring sales invoice before. Now, instead of manually entering it, you will manually edit it. If you didn’t forget to enter due dates previously, there is no reason to think you will suddenly begin forgetting to edit them now. No need to modify the recurring invoices you have defined. Just edit instead of enter.

When you create a recurring invoice and leave the due date as empty it did just that. The problem came when when a week of the system doing its own thing had sent my books completely out of balance and I had to then go and figure out what had gone wrong.

Some recurring sales invoices have been paid in advance by the client, at which point no one cares because they are marked ‘Paid in full’.

Those that were still due were clearly marked by the red highlighted section which showed “no due date” which was my trigger to edit the due date.

With the yellow “due today” that differentiates it in NO way from the others (please make allowances for perhaps poor eyesight, or just being hurried) it created chaos. However the two lovely gentlemen @lubos and @shaneAU (evidently programmers - given the last alert I have received) have been working with me all day and have assisted admirably.

We each have our areas of expertise - I am a language teacher (not an accountant) and this program is invaluable to me because it does not presuppose all kinds of accounting knowledge that I do not have. Any alterations which alter my aged receivables, banking, etc throw my tiny little brain into waves of confusion that take me hours to figure out.

Manager does not “do its own thing.” Recurring sales invoices are not generated spontaneously. You are notified that it’s time to issue them and you must create them by positive action. And I still don’t see why you think you have been caused extra work, unless you are doing something you have not described. Before, according to your description, when it was time to create recurring sales invoices, you entered a due date. You say you were happy with this process. Now, instead, you edit a due date. In other words, what you do has changed slightly, but it is still the entry of a date in the same field of the same form at the same time in your workflow.

Quie correct. What I had to do had changed. But I was not aware that I had to do something different.

Maybe I have not explained myself clearly… however at this point it’s quite irrelevant as I’ve already mentioned that I have been assisted most ably already. Thank you.

Just want to quickly clarify so there’s no misunderstanding … that while both of us are developers / programmers, only @lubos is the developer of the Manager application, I am simply a user in this case.

I’m a developer for a completely different company, and I just happen to use Manager to do my own accounting.

If I may make a suggestion @Sabrina_Moya_Cuerden

Before downloading and installing an update for Manager Desktop Edition, check this page, and read up on what has changed. That way, there will be no unexpected surprises:

https://www.manager.io/desktop/releases/

I check this myself before downloading an update.

If you are using Cloud Edition, since the updates are automatic, you’ll likely need to have a quick look at the page once a week or so and see if there’s anything that affects you.

1 Like

Is it possible to completely remove “Due date” from the Sales Invoice ? This field did not appear until recently and I can’t seem to remove it.

@clive something should be shown to indicate when do you expect the invoice to be paid. How about showing “Due Upon Receipt” if due date and issue date is the same?

You could remove it from the completed view with a custom theme, employing some conditional logic. There have been forum topics on similar requests in which users have posted code.

The reason it didn’t appear before is because it wasn’t required. But as developments have occurred, it became necessary for all invoices to have due dates. The presumption is that an invoice is due immediately unless you set an alternate date.