Idea for Linux edition to be offered as AppImage

Which I assume is the one with the most downloads here Docker

s6s8/manager.io : mike’s

devishian/manager.io : davide’s

Mprokopov was one of earliest docker image available and was made by one of users here in the forum. But later was not maintain anymore.

devishian is mine. I keep it as updated as possible. I’m not a programmer so I don’t have a synchronisation script in place.

You can download Manager in AppImage format now. Not yet published on the website as I want to gather the feedback. It’s about 40 MB.

Here is the link to the latest version: Download | Manager

I’ve successfully tested it on Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint.

4 Likes

it works perfectly, on MXLinux 18.3 which was based on Debian 9.6 Stable Branch. To able to execute appimage file. what dependency we usually need for appimage? I’m curious. Since most Debian or Ubuntu based linux I hopped in already able to execute appimage file.

Tried on Debian 9.11 unstable branch which is My Open media Vault Nas Server with remote desktop plugin (with xorg)

Screenshot3

Dependencies I don’t include in AppImage are GTK3 and Webkit. Both seem to be installed by default on Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint.

GTK is usually not an issue because many “must-have” apps are GTK-based so desktop linux distributions do have GTK libraries.

The issue is WebKit which is fairly bulky library. It is automatically included in Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint as far as I can tell. If it’s not installed on your linux distribution, then you will get an error about libwebkit file missing. Can you install libwebkit dependency and then try AppImage again?

after install libwebkit2gtk-4.0.37

it works.

I think there is a need to list down dependencies plus guide how to install the missing GTK and Webkit.

The appimage idea is to have all required dependencies available in the package. So it become one for all. I think is better to have someone using like solus, archlinux to try out.

My understanding is that you still have particular distributions in mind to target when compiling AppImage package. In this case, since Manager has been officially supporting Ubuntu and Fedora, Manager.AppImage contains all dependencies required to run on these two distributions out of the box.

The more distributions you want to target, the bulkier AppImage becomes because you need to lower your expectations about the target system thus have to include more dependencies.

Either way, you will need to draw the line somewhere. Even LibreOffice AppImage file doesn’t support every Linux distribution - they target specific ones.

Then make a vote to know how many of your users using what operating system for office use.

Target parent branch of Linux would be an ideal. As what I understood the the branches will be update after the parent. However for Ubuntu I’m not sure whether they develop on their own without waiting for debian.

If Lubos decided to support the current distribution, then its fair to write guides how to make up the missing dependencies. Then, when the newly popular distribution for office user available then start planning to support the said distributions. Leave votes annually for change of distribution target.

As far as the dependencies are concerned, (and other things too), this is where using a system like Snap or Flatpack should shine and make life a whole lot easier for both developer/maintainer and the end user. I would again respectfully urge that that way of working be considered.

1 Like

Has this been taken down now - I tried the link and I get a 404 page not found error.
I would like (as others before me) to use Manager on Solus or if not then Manjaro - and like others I can’t get my head around Docker - so not keen to play with something I don’t know on something as important as an accounting package. Recently I have had a lot of problems with virtual box as there seems to be issues with how robust it is now on newer Linux Distro’s and their forum has a very rude and short support person that does not inspire me to try to ask any questions as to why VB is so broken! I have even tried Gnome Boxes and am just about to delve into VirtManager and Qemu to see if they work well enough to rely on. Boxes was flakey as hell on all the distro’s I used as hosts - so would never rely on it for serious applications.
I would like to try the App Image however I can’t find it - any help please?

@mekuranda just go to Download | Manager

1 Like

Remember though, when you download the .AppImage you will need to chmod +x or right click it and give it execution permissions. You will get unexpected results if you do not follow that step (like for me it opens the Package Manager software looking for a relevant application).

2 Likes

Thank you Lubos, I have installed a test Manager instance In Solus 4.x with some old data as a double check - So Far it installed before I could blink and it seems to be working amazingly fast and all the things I have checked (except email) is working - I will keep fiddling around with it over the next few days and report back again with progress report.

I doubt would be helpful in a scenario where snap or Flatpack are not supported in those distros like nitrux. Where it totally rely on appimage as their app deployment

appimage package never ‘installed’ on the system. is just similar as portableapp in windows. delete without actually pressing uninstall button

@lubos are you working on the guide? I think you need to put d3mad input at the linux download page. make the file executable.

Thank You So Much. Was waiting to get this for a long time. I Love Manger, but for a long time now I was using it in a virtual box on my Solus Os Laptop. I only use that virtual box for that single purpose. Now it’s easy.

2 Likes