How to use same database in dualboot windows/ubuntu(linux)

How can I use same database in dualboot windows/ubuntu(linux)

I try to set the path of windows instalation in ubuntu instalation but it wont work. Any sugestion what am I doing wrong.
My costumer are using Manager in both systems but they import backups files at the moment every time they change the sistem.

Windows path show as C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Manager

When I open Manager in ubuntu I get Access to the path “/media/user/Users” is denied
If I delite data file I can start Maneger again.

Linux does not use Windows style file locations, so you would need to find the corresponding location under Linux.
Next you would need to make sure the permissions (in Windows) allow for all users to access the file/folder for the Manager data.
Finally, if the Windows partition is using NTFS, Linux may not be able to write to it. If it can it may not be entirely stable/reliable; it’s been a while since I last checked.

All three points may be made easier by having a separate partition for sharing between Linux and Windows using the FAT32 filesystem.

2 Likes

Thank you. You give me some ideas how to solve this.
Normaly In my PC I use dual boot win/ubuntu with seperate ntfs disk for data file used in both systems with no problems.
I will try to use fat USB key and see if its work then and yes I need to check the privacy settings.

Thank you.

Hi, smi89. It works nice with USB key fat32 formated from both systems. I didn’t try with ntfs but it’s ok this way.

Thank you.

1 Like

If you can edit data on NTFS from both operating systems then I would use NTFS as your data storage location for Manager.

The problem is that the c:\users%username% folder has permissions set to only allow that user on windows access.

The solution is to open Manager and change the data path location to say e:\Manager Data and make sure that everyone can write to that folder and obviously do the same thing in Linux. Then copy the data file to that folder.

Do not use a FAT32 USB Key unless you want to lose your data. USB keys should never be used to store vital data - you could lose the key, the key could get corrupted etc. In addition Fat 32 on USB keys tend to corrupt a lot more easily than NTFS. Get your data onto the hard drive as soon as possible.

For your particular situation I would recommend the cloud option as this will mean no loss of data, no data corruption etc. I would not be keen to try and edit vital data like that on two different operating systems all the time as something could go wrong. It shouldn’t but it can happen.

Also I wonder why you need to dual boot - if you want to use Linux, and are only booting for Windows Programs that cannot be used in Linux, I believe that Wine should solve those issue. There should not be any reason to dual boot.

1 Like

dalacor, thank you for your respond. I do agree with you and as I say I use both system simply be cos I need both of them professionally and some programs I invested in are made for windows and don’t run under wine in ubuntu and they also run badly in virtual box so for some cases i need to have windows be cos there is no time to deal with everyone of them in Linux and I use another disk NTFS formatted for shearing files between the systems.

As I say in first post “My costumer are using Manager in both systems but they import backups files at the moment every time they change the system.” so I thoth if there is the way to make this simply for them. With this I needed to see if this is possible and now I know how to. But you are right the USB key is not secure way for data to be stored but they want to have it near buy as they don’t trust cloud storage security and that is on them to decide I can only suggest to them what is better solution. Probably I will use external disk for that matter but will see how it goes.

They start using ubuntu system three month ago and they need windows environment on the disk to be safe for now.

I understand your customer is not keen on cloud storage (and I can relate to that - I would prefer to have my accounting on my own computer - so that I can control when I update the program and because I like to have my data not be on the Internet). Having said that, their security concerns about the cloud are misplaced. Cloud storage is very secure nowadays compared to just five years ago.

However, I would never support a customer using Manager in the way that they are using it as I can guarantee you that there will be data loss. If they don’t want a cloud solution, then I would recommend that they go for the Server solution or only use Manager on one operating system. Your customer is going to end up backing up/restoring the wrong file, or data gets corrupted.

What you need to do is give your customer what they need, not what they want. Because they will come crying to you when they lose their data. So you need to say to them, this method is not workable long term. They need to decide to have Manager on just one system, or buy the cloud or buy the server solution.

I agree with you but I can only advice and suggest, decision is on them. I hope that they will switch to Ubuntu permanently as soon as possible and this will be just temporary solution. They already notes how much batter perform Ubuntu on their PC and I hope that they will us it more an more after time as that is my experience in similar cases.
People need time to switch systems after all they are using windows 15 years now and dual boot is nice option to keep them secure if they need to do something fast and they don’t now how to duet in Ubuntu yet.

At least this costumer have no problem doing backups normally I have this problems with my clients. They don’t understood how important this is. Backup, backup and backup again. I see so many windows machines corrupted this days more then ever in my IT career. And peoples still not have proper security in their systems to until they have bad experience. Or they mix business with pleasure in same machines this is also a problem.

Regards

David

I think the comments about FAT32 and USB flash are a little bit doom and gloom, but I would agree the flash drive was better as a test than a long term solution.
As you say though, the backups are one of the most important points; hopefully they’re not being put on the same USB drive though :slight_smile:

If you do use NTFS with the correct permissions, a separate drive/partition would be best to make sure Windows does not accidentaly overwrite changes made in Ubuntu.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions