Gstin adding

How to add gstin number to supplier detail and supplier invoice.

Read this Guide: https://www.manager.io/guides/10388. If you want to add your suppliers’ GSTINs, use a custom field or include the number in their address field. (You might not want to do the latter if you ever send transaction documents to the supplier.)

why? all business communications need to have the business identifier printed for it to be valid legally as it is required by law. for the same reason users had requested many times on the forum to have a unique business identifier field for suppliers.

businesses are identified by their GSTIN and not by their name. in a country you may have any number of business registered under the same name. so it does not make sense to identify it by their business name.

I said “might not.” In your country, it could be legally required to include the GSTIN on everything. In some countries, such identifying numbers are considered private and are guarded carefully.

XYZ is a supplier to one business and also a customer to some other business. and since Manager can show the business identifier of XYZ when as a customer, how is this identifying number of XYZ kept private and guarded carefully?

In the type of jurisdiction I mentioned, the business identifier would not be shown for customers or suppliers. Similarly, while it is common in some places to show bank information to enable electronic transfers, in other places that is never or seldom done.

1 Like

i might be wrong but i guess in those type of jurisdiction there may be no use of business identifiers at all.
if there were use of business identifiers in such jurisdiction, those users would not be using Manager because Manager does not have an option to hide the business identifier of a customer.

in a jurisdiction where business identifiers are used to identify the business, which is obviously the reason it is called business identifier, both customers and suppliers need the same to be displayed on all legal transactions.

In that case, would they just not enter a business identifier at all

my response was based on the below statement.

The point is that in some jurisdictions, business identification numbers are freely exchanged and openly used by both customers and suppliers. In others, they are confidential identifiers used only to identify businesses to tax authorities, banks, and similar institutions authorized by law. They are kept private as a security measure to reduce hacking and identity theft.

The distinction has absolutely nothing to do with whether a business can use Manager. You just need to be aware of where any identification number you enter in Manager is used so you can avoid unauthorized or undesired disclosure.

there is no point in discuss this at all. every country ahs some set rules, users of those countries have to abide by those rules.its that simple.

Can you provide an example of this ?

Social Security Numbers and Employer Identification Numbers in the US, both of which can be used as Taxpayer Identification Numbers. Which is used depends on form of organization, employer status, and other factors. Even the Internal Revenue Service permits obscuration of numbers on tax forms in some cases. Neither is included on accounting documents like invoices, sales/purchase orders, quotes, etc.

Yes, but this topic is not about “personal identifiers” is it - it’s about business identifiers.

Exactly, @Brucanna, which is why I never mentioned personal identifiers. Both examples I gave are used as Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TINs). That is the terminology used in the US for what Manager calls a “business identifier.” An EIN is never used as a personal identifier. While a SSN is sometimes used as a personal identifier, for many proprietorships it is also used as the TIN, or business identifier.