Fixed Assets Main Asset and Sub Assets Capitalisation

Good Day Experts,

1. When you capitalize a main assets and later add a sub assets, must you add the value of the sub assets in the main asset or they will all have differents values?

2. Can a sub asset have a higher value than a main/master asset?

3. When we add the main asset cost? do we include sub-assets or they are classified differently

Can you give a concrete example of what you mean by main asset and sub-asset?

I assume you maybe referring to component accounting. Manager has no built in functionality for that.

But you can still use codes, custom fields or a combination thereof to achieve the desired structure.

You will have to maintain the relationships manually between the asset and it’s components.

Here’s the guide on custom fields.
https://www.manager.io/guides/8941

Main Asset Production Machine and sub assets can be the engine and other components(converyos)

Main Asset ME-0000-0000 R1 000 000.00
Sub Asset. ME-0000-0001 R300 000 (Engine)
Sub Asset. ME-0000-0002 R180 000 (Converyor)

When I view the Fixed Assets Register must the main asset include sub assets costs?

Or they will be viewed as independent assets?

Oh the cost of main asset must be R1 000 000 + R300 000 + R180 000 in the FAR?

How you show them in your accounts is your decision - bearing in mind any regulatory and accounting practices in your country.

Read the guide Add custom control accounts | Manager on Custom Control Accounts which shows how to combine fixed assets in different accounts

The best way to decide is probably to setup a test business and try out different options until you find one that you are happy to work with and which shows the information you want on balance sheet and P&L reports,