Expense claims bank rules

See previous topic Expense claims bank rules

Use case is that me or an employee bulk inserts their expense claims CSV / whatever they download from the creditcard.

Finance needs to book on the right account and specify tax rate.

My comments in the previous topic still stand. I would consider it very bad practice to import a bank statement (including credit card statements) from any account not belonging to the business. I don’t care how tiresome someone thinks entering expense claims might be, the thought of importing a bank statement belonging to some other individual is an auditing nightmare and could lead to a hard fight to avoid legal charges of fraud.

1 Like

I think you’re missing the point. Expense claims are not entered by someone with a financial / accounting background. Your whole fraud/auditing argument makes no sense. This is about automating actions.

People download their statements in for example excel or cvs. They work in excel to get things in a managable format. It is then added in bulk, as there is no way to import a bank statement as expense claims.
The imported rows have the description of the originally downloaded statements

Now you have 1000 rows to manually book, even though they could easily be edited in bulk using rules.

Another way to ease the process would be to allow bulk editing certain fields. That way, we could search / select the expense claims, and set all accounts/taxes at once.

I know what you’re objection to that is, and that is that one row can represent multiple bookings… That could easily be prevented by only allowing bulk edits on rows which haven’t been split up.
Another way would take more UX effort, and that is to allow splitting inline, similar what mint did / does (15 years ago, so I’m not sure what they do now).

I would never let anyone without the proper background and training enter anything into a business’ accounting records. Restrictive permissions can reduce the amount of training needed, but the more direct user access you allow, the higher the risks. The thought of some employee entering 1,000 lines in an expense claim from a spreadsheet they manipulated from a personal bank statement would terrify me.

That was not my objection at all. You, in fact, missed my point.

My argument was that an auditor would be aghast at business records imported from a personal bank statement. What assurance could there be that an expense claimed as hardware for a customer project wasn’t a personal home repair item? Or that the restaurant meal supposedly for marketing discussions with a prospective client wasn’t really for a birthday celebration for a child? Too many business owners have been convicted of tax violations for claiming personal expenses as business expenses.