Duplicate activity displays in Custom Report

I’m not sure if anyone has encountered this issue. I created a custom report query exactly as described in the Guide for example 3
https://www.manager.io/guides/18075
However I noticed the report keeps repeating same receipts both on the credit and debit side. Not sure if this is an issue or some parameter I need to include. Funny enough this does not applies to all customers.

You did not show the report you are asking about. But what you are probably seeing is the result of a sales invoice debiting the account and a subsequent receipt crediting it. Even the dates would be the same if the payment is entered the same day as the sales invoice. The reason the behavior is not seen for all customers is probably because either (a) transactions are separated by date, one possibly falling outside the specified date range, or (b) debit transactions were broken up by line item, while credits were applied in the total balance due of a sales invoice.

Hi @Tut
Thanks, I did mentioned it - Second line of my post[Example 3]
And yes the the receipt transactions are being repeated, although the report displays it on both the credit and debit side again effectively negating each other.
So what we have is a receipt activity displayed 3 times. The normal transaction, a duplicated entry on the debit and then another on the credit.
In my opinion, that makes the report misleading.

You showed the query. You did not show the resulting report.

Thanks @Tut ,
Here is the result.
The green highlights the actual transaction, the red highlights the duplicate display.

Edit the custom report to show more information such as “Account | Name”, and “transaction”
Your search specification / “Where:” is not as specific as you intended

Please if you can expatiate further. I just added the parameters you mentioned. The issue still persist.

I think this is linked to receipts which are NOT linked to an invoice

I seem to remember that I had this problem but once I linked the receipts to an invoice, the double entries disappeared

Good point but I dont think it is compulsory for receipts to be linked to an invoice. I believe this issue should be treated as a bug.

It is not a bug. Custom reports return entries from the database. The entries you question are present, so they are returned in accordance with your query. The issue is understanding how to filter out those you do not want to appear.

Without seeing all your records, it is not possible for other forum members to know with certainty the origin of a specific transaction in the database. Every idea expressed in this thread has been a guess, including those from me. You have shown only snippets of the report, and none of the entry screens for the transactions involved. Depending on the origin and nature of a transaction, Manager sometimes makes several automatic ledger entries as it records various processes. Without understanding these, it can be very difficult to construct filters that eliminate them. And to be clear, none of us really understand the processes, because we do not see the underlying code, only the results.

The secret to creating the custom reports we want is often trial and error, evaluating the effects of various filters until we find what we want.

The transaction was posted from the Receipts Tab. Some were imported via the Bank Import feature.

I’m sure you will understand I cannot just display clients transaction on an open forum. If there was any additional explanation or clarification needed, I’l be glad to give them.

I only posted one transaction. Why the Database keeps spooling out the repeated/negating reports is what I cant explain. On the customer drill down tab, all is fine-no repetition.

I created a demo on Cloud version and realised the issue did not occur. I posted a test receipt on the cloud demo and desktop. There were no repetition on Cloud but repetition on Desktop.

If you enter a receipt both from the Receipts & Payments tab and by bank import, it is duplicated in the database. One or the other must be deleted.

That is one of the reasons it is hard to diagnose behavior. We do not see underlying data.

As I wrote before, “…none of us really understand the processes, because we do not see the underlying code, only the results.” A custom report returns all transactions fitting the criteria of the query. The Customers tab displays processed results of applying those transactions in ways defined by the program.

This may not be dispositive. You probably have other transactions, different tabs enabled, and so forth, in your desktop edition than you do in your cloud edition test company.You need to accept the fact, as you’ve already been told, that your query is not restrictive enough for what you apparently want to see.

They are different receipts. No single receipt was posted twice.

If there is any suggestions as to which restrictive filter to apply. That will be welcomed.

So are you saying you test Business worked OK when run on the cloud but not when run from your desktop computer

The cloud version is maintained by others. The desktop version you need to update your self

It is not compulsory but it can change which payment is applied to which invoice. These changes will then be accurately reflected in the reports you subsequently generate. At times Manager is working harder that anticipated, made visible when looking at some custom reports.

I’ve been going through the whole process again. And here is what I found out.
When an invoice is created and a subsequent receipt is credited to that customer without linking to an invoice. It seems Manager goes ahead and apply the receipt on an invoice, post the receipt on the invoice and post it out again.
In other words, the receipt is applied and reversed and the entries kept. So whenever the custom report is generated, the entries are displayed.
@Patch was right, when the receipt is applied on an invoice, it works fine. But I still maintain this should not be the norm and its not a good process. Customers do make payment that is not meant for a specific invoice.

@Zion, there are two things involved here.

The first is that Manager will allocate undesignated payments to unpaid invoices in order of due date. This is described, along with ways to avoid or fix it in these Guides:
https://www.manager.io/guides/10355
https://www.manager.io/guides/10342

The second is that Manager goes through transactions internally during the execution of various functions. There can be many reasons for these, some of which may not even be related to the tabs you have enabled in a particular business but are necessary for others. You may not normally see these transactions, yet because they were entered automatically, custom reports reveal them. Therefore, restrictive filters are often necessary. The program is not designed to make custom reports convenient or obvious. Custom reports were added late in development so people who were not satisfied with built-in reports could extract raw data from the database. Something you do not like in your reports might be just what someone else is looking for.