Custom Report Not Returning Transaction Type Properly

When I create any custom report, Sale or Purchase transaction type shows invoice number (i think instead of sale/purchase). is that correct or I’m may be wrong.(please correct me if I’m wrong)
Because of the non constant type is not there, I couldn’t filter sale or purchase out from the custom report.

Can you post your current custom report definition screenshot please.

Very sorry for the late reply

Any update on this please

Your current custom report

• is selecting what fields you want displayed
  • filtering transactions by date range
  • not performing any other transaction filtering so showing everything in the general ledger. For a double entry accounting system that means each transaction is shown twice.

That’s a very unusual final custom report. In practice I always

• add extra select terms to display more information about each entry so I can see that what each actually is, if I really want to see it, and how to exclude it if not.

• add “Where” terms to filter entries I want. Actually as all “where” terms are “and”ed together what the “where” terms actually do is successively exclude things you don’t want to include in the report. For example if you want to show transactions involving on of several accounts you have to add where not every other account one descriptor at a time.

Writing custom reports, report transformations or other types of programming is a bit like doing a crossword. No one just writes out the answer, it involves successively doing the easier bits, then eventually the harder are achievable.

Thank you very much @Patch, I fully understand what you’ve said. I’ve custom report with what you’ve asked for. But now my question is: in the transaction field, is it correctly displaying the transaction type for “sale”. because I’ve used the same filter few moths earlier without this problem. where Transaction>Name>does not contain>sale.
it was working fine then.
now transaction name for sale have “INV#” , so that it couldn’t filter out all the “sale”

I know the “sale” could be filtered out by General Ledger Account>Name>does not contain>sale
but my question is: transaction type for sale(as INV#) - is that correct? or I understood it wrong?

In a double entry accounting system most transactions result in two entries in the general ledger. Typically a “Profit and Loss” entry and a “Balance sheet” entry. To select the one you want in a particular custom report use
Custom report where

There are a lot of other useful Truthy and Falsy test in the above menu

or if you use invoices sales can be filtered in by
isAccountsReceivable

Thank you very much @Patch for your initiative to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. But still my doubt remains : “but my question is: transaction type for sale(shows as INV#) - is that correct? or I understood it wrong?”

@Shan, I wonder if what you are seeing is a result of how you are entering your transactions. Please post a screen shot of the Edit screen of one of your sales invoices.

Thank you @Tut

reason for this doubt: few months ago, when I create this custom report, I could filter out the sale by :
where Transaction>Name>does not contain>sale
but now (after some updates) the same custom report includes sale, when I try to sort it out, I came across this doubt. (I’m very sorry for if my thought is totally wrong and waste your time)
because still there are many ways to get my desired result (but my doubt is, how come earlier can now cannot - the same custom report)

Depending on how old your old version was, the entire custom report capability was rewritten not too long ago.

What should show is the transaction type, then a reference number if there is any. But for sales and purchase invoices, the program is only returning reference numbers. And, if there is no reference number, it returns only the date.

I consider this a bug and will move the topic to the bugs category.

It is hard to offer specific advice as I don’t know what you are trying to achieve with your custom report.

I typically start by

• Showing (“Select …”) anything which sounds like it maybe the type of data I want displayed in the final report. Less useful items are removed later

• Showing (“Select …”) anything which sounds like it maybe useful to search or filter the transactions I want to show in the final report. Useful fields are then used in “Where …” terms and removed from the display / “Select …” part of the report

• “Where …” terms are all "and"ed (all must be met for the general ledger entry to be included in the report). Other search engines provide the option to “Or” searches together. The work around for General ledger accounts in Manager’s custom reports is to add a special character or string to the account name, for a particular set of accounts, then use: Where … → General ledger Account → Name → Contains → < your special character or string >

• In summary “Where …” terms are chosen in the following order 1. From constant properties not dependant on user data entry, 2. Positively defines just the general ledger entries desired, 3. Excludes a large number of entries not wanted, 4. Successively excludes specific entries not wanted.

• After which sort order, Group, and finally collapse is added as required

For example, in the first step I would create a custom report something like
General Select

Edit
Oops looks like I have missed your question

Imo it is what it is. I would just update my custom report to work again.

Lubos appears to be making some very large back end changes, which involve redoing some interfaces. The reason for which maybe evident to us users later.

I can see value in upgrading the report transformation / localisation functionality to increase the commonality with custom reports and custom themes. Big changes are occurring with report transformations so perhaps it is part of that. Will have to wait and see.

Thank you very much @Tut & @Patch for your immediate response on this topic. as you all said, I can achieve the report in which way I want with this very good accounting software. when I came across this problem recently, I just wanted to clear my doubt and let the members and @lubos also know there is something to look at. (even thought it’s very tiny matter.)
Thank you Manager.io team and everyone here.

This has been fixed in the latest version (21.3.47). When you select Transaction, select sub-field called TransactionName which will force the full name of transaction including transaction type.

However, this is a workaround, there will be proper way eventually.

Thank you @lubos