Custom & Handling Charges - Invoice Customization

Kindly if someone can assist on this:

A particular demand to customize the Sales Invoice as well as Quotation for having the additional charges such as to appear after the Total Amount:
*Custom Duties etc
*Handling Charges
Whereas in Manager, was able to manage by adding them as Non-Inventory Items to record sales and purchases to particular accounts. However, these are added into Total including items.

Here are the screenshots:

This is not a matter a custom theme can address. Themes change the appearance of data that is present. You cannot add items to a transaction and exclude them from the total.

@Tut thanks for the prompt reply, the items as non-inventory items already available in the database, they are not appearing as text only and by the way they need to be added not excluded from the total.

There must be some solution, anyone please…

You asked about placing the items after the total.

Yes currently the items are added along with the inventory items, however they need after the total of items to add additional charges…

i think this is a feature worth implementing in Manager @lubos

i would like to suggest adding a feature called Additional Charges on transaction forms similar to Late payment fees on a sales invoice. these additional charges can be defined just like non-inventory items in Manager. but i think the challenge with this approach would be to implement it in a way where users can include more than one additional charges.

another approach would be to add Custom Totals similar to custom fields. the charges entered in these fields would then add to the transaction total.

i understand this would be a challenge to implement because in most situations these additional charges would be taxable.

now to explain the need for this feature. these additional charges are usually added when a business just acts as an intermediary for another service provider like cargo companies for example. the charges are not a part of the main business and it is not completely correct to include these along with the actual supplies or services provided. in our jurisdiction a business needs to register their nature of business and services provided. so it is risky to add such intermediary charges along with the line items. adding them separately as seen in the screenshot of OP gives more clarity to the authorities and the end customer that such charges were simply passed on and not part of the actual business.

1 Like

I can’t help but to think of two things:

1. This requires a lot of tinkering under the hood to get this to work
  2. This would more likely cause restrictions with regards to account and the way I see it, we have enough restrictions as-is.
  3. The list of check boxes are bordering on too much at the moment.

Many of the same arguments against additional charges.

Maybe if we take a step back to look at what needs to be done we realize that this is just a display preference issue and it shouldn’t involve any modifications to the core structure of the software to solve a superficial issue.

That’s why I don’t agree with this :point_down:

This issue can be solved with custom themes but it involves a lot of work.

Imo, the best solution would be either to:

• be able configure non-inventory items to be displayed after subtotal. (My preferred way)
  • be able to move individual lines to the totals array in the edit screen of invoice.

Take an even bigger step back, now I am starting to see that I missed something. This may be a part of a related but bigger issue which is the allocation of additional cost to invoice lines.

So maybe @sharpdrivetek dditional charges idea is better suited here.

I would still love to see implemented as a checkboxes within the lines like “Display in totals” and “Allocate to lines” just to allow more flexibility.

I support any new idea from users. but:

What is your problem with adding these accounts to the invoice lines as income or expense? This is how you can add all the details you need in these lines.
I’m asking to win from your experience and check if I am currently using a wrong steps for same transactions.

this case, why not create a separate invoice for these additional fees? Or using a credit/debit note, isn’t that what they are usually use for?

Hello Arab’s voice in Manager, your ideas are always appreciated but for me I feel satisfied with the current tools here. However, as I’ve already started, any new idea to add a feature to Manager is often a good idea for me as a user.

the answer was clearly explained if you read the last paragraph in my earlier post.
issuing separate invoice will not change the fact that it is not the nature of business as registered with tax authorities.

definitely not.

actually yes, your replies above is not clear for me.
My business is selling some Products or services for a second party (customer) these products/services delivered to the customer via third party (shipping company) which cost more expenses on the customer invoice.
now I can not add these extra costs on the same invoice because shipping expenses is not one of my registered activities with authorities . all of that I will accept, but my business can not purchase a shipping services from another party and create a new debit note for the customer contain the shipping costs that is what I can not understand why

I exaggerated the transaction, despite the ease and clarity of the solution used by @danowagroup and me, put it in extra line at the same invoice, It won’t affect the accounting rules.
I have not any ideas here so I will continue watching this idea just to learn from you all if what I’m doing now is wrong so what I’m supposed to do.

i still do not understand why you are making a separate invoice when you are invoicing it anyway. whether you include it as a line on your original invoice or you issue a separate invoice, the fact does not change that you are still invoicing for shipping expenses. some companies issue a separate invoice with a different invoice series just to categorize their invoices and track them easily. that is the choice of the business.

why not? you are availing a service from a service provider which is perfectly legal. you will be receiving an invoice from the shipping company which you will be entering in Manager as a purchase invoice. there is no use of debit notes in this scenario.

the suggestion was about how the transaction is presented. whether you add it as a line item or you add it as a separate total, the invoice would still show you the grand total of everything. so the accounting part will always be correct.

Thank you all appreciate your comments, however in the absence of the functionality (which is available in most of the other solutions), we can’t force customers to issue separate invoices, although it doesn’t have any tax implications but for a specific project, they need to be added into the total items, not as items but as charges, so the work around was to get them through non-inventory items, also in the absence of the function, these NII will be having specialized GL Accounts, say when have sale or purchase, they can’t be taken into other income as eventually need to pay the Fedex or DHL just for instance.

The idea from @sharpdrivetek is good to allow users to add them or not on the go, like late payment or early discount…

We are working with a programmer to recode them…

@lubos kindly add additional charges as optional (like late payment etc) in the new version please, it’s very common in standard solutions available in the market, this will certainly add more value to this great software…

Hope you won’t ignore this request…